Who will "Spy" Cam Newton?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

This defense never faced McFadden. The current defensive personnel for the most part never faced Tebow. Oh, and McFadden pwned LSU. He brung dat wood. And the three, McFadden, Tebow, and Newton, aren't very similar. And which game is the "one great game" that Newton had?

FWIW, I think LSU does a better job on him than anyone yet. But it will be because they DO prepare for him. Specifically for him.

2. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

Just hope they don't forget preparing for Auburn's other running backs.....

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Matthieu may force 5 fumbles from that group.

4. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

On the bright side, Miss. St. has done it best and I'm sure that game has been dissected to nausea. They held Newton to 70 bucks on the ground with "immediate pressure", cutting the distance quick and living with his other skills. With PP, Sheppard, and the D-backs, that may be doable. Chavis has more material to work with then any opponent so far. I just think he will offer multiple looks, with pressure and try to frustrate Newton. It's going to be interesting, that dude lives in Happyland.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

So what will be a good job on Newton? Holding him to 50 rushing and 100 passing? That would work for me. For Auburn to be excellent, Newton has to be exceptional. If we just hold him to capable, Auburn becomes average.

6. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Hopefuuly we can get pressure with a 4 man rush and drop everyone into coverage as that is probably the best way to defend him. If you blitz and don't get to him he will take off and there will be a lot of open space. Look at his stats he is actually better against the blitz as compared to a more base defense.

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I believe he will be contained...under 100 yds rushing, but still their leading rusher by far. I also believe he winds up with about 160 passing. Mere mortal numbers...but not terrible.

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Dayum boyz, McNeese's Stroud broke 100 while one of their RB's had 80...AND THEY were the backups. :lol:

I think Cam gets his yardage but we clamp down in the red zone.

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Looking ahead.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Oh, are we? May want to quit using past and past perfect tense then...cherry picker.