Who will win World Cup 2010?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by sammypetter, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

GEAUX ZOMBIES!

2. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

The USA has fielded a national soccer team since 1885. In the first World Cup in 1930, the USA finished #3.

As for the term "football," it obviously makes more sense applied to the sport soccer than it does applied to the sport Americans call "football" -- much like the terms "baseball" and "basketball" make sense when used to describe their respective sports. The reason we call American football by the term "football" is because it is a game derived from soccer/football, just like rugby, gaelic football, Aussie-rules football, etc. In fact, the American term "soccer" comes from the term "Association Football." So you can thank soccer for the very existence of American football that we both love so much.

As for scores of 1-0 or 2-1... you see the same thing in baseball, and baseball is known as "America's Pastime." You also see the same thing in hockey, a sport responsible for one of the greatest sports moments in USA history--the Miracle on Ice when the USA beat Russia 4-3. Another thing to note about the low-scoring games is that it makes the goals that much more epic... much more epic than a typical TD in American football or a typical basket in basketball. Sure, if you want to see constant scoring, then soccer isn't for you... but then again, neither is hunting or fishing... two sports that are very popular in Louisiana.

As for overtime, soccer doesn't always have overtime. Many games end in ties, just like it used to be in American football before they changed the rules. But yes, in tournament play they have overtime, but they don't just line up for PKs right away. They have a whole overtime period first. My soccer knowledge is rusty... I can't remember if that overtime period is a "golden-goal" period where the first team to score wins (similar to the NFL overtime) or if they play out the whole overtime period (which would be something nice to see in American football, but don't). IMO, the NFL overtime is the most annoying overtime in all of sports. And the NCAA football overtime, which I do like, doesn't go to an extra period of overtime play like soccer does, instead they just line up at the 20 and take shots at scoring, similar to what soccer does when they get to the PK stage.

But I feel you, it's hard to follow every sport out there. I can't get into watching golf at all, although it is often on American TV... just like I can't get into watching pool/billards or bowling when they show it on ESPN. But I love playing all three of those sports. And it's been a long time since I've been able to follow hockey or tennis (two other sports I love to play), although I have been very into watching those sports in the past. Of course, there are sports I've never been able to follow or understand at all, like NASCAR, although when I have a conversation with a NASCAR fan about it, I can see why it would be fun to watch.

With the NBA and MLB and the NFL and the NHL... they aren't as exciting to me anymore as watching NCAA sports or International sports like the Olympics or the World Cup... because I enjoy watching people playing for their school or their country much more than I do watching MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL players play from some money-making business that may or may not feel any loyalty to the city it represents at the time... and I enjoy watching people playing for their school or their country much more than I do watching MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL players that may or may not have any loyalty to their team (as opposed to those who are playing for their country or their school). I'm not saying that watching the MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL isn't exciting, I'm just saying it is not as exciting as watching people play for their country or school.

As for soccer, I feel you for not being able to follow it. I've never been able to follow it at the club level, either... the English League (Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, etc), the German League (Bayern Munich, etc), the Italian League (AC Milan, Juventus, Inter) or the Spanish League (Real Madrid, Barcelona)... but it would be exciting to do so. However, once American football starts, it steals all my attention so I'm not able to follow professional soccer. Even the USA has the MLS, and I've seen a couple Seattle Sounders games on TV and they have an amazing fan base and atmosphere.

However, I have been able to follow the World Cup (not every Cup), but most of them... and you are missing out on life if you miss it. Similar to the Olympics.

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

well said John.

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w3rPI5Q23U[/MEDIA]

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Michael Owen is definitely out for England.....

Manchester United's Michael Owen out for season - Soccer - SI.com

No real surprise here as he wasn't expected to make the England squad but it does take away a back up plan if they get hit with injuries. This is important to the US as they are the toughest team in our bracket.

As far as Owen goes. I've always been fond of him. I remember when he burst onto the World Cup scene with a great tournament in 1998 at the ripe old age of 18. It was truly very impressive.

6. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

John,
    My only comment is the last world cup championship ended in a 0-0 tie. That is why I dont watch Soccer.
    Yes I am a Hockey fan and those games can be low scoring, but there are usually 100+ shots on goal, its fast, and violent. The few times I watched soccer its some one name foreign guy kicking a ball, then when someone gets close to him he falls down and acts like he has been shot.

To each is own, if you like Soccer great enjoy. But for me I would rather watch CSPAN than Soccer... But again not knocking anyone who likes it but for me I find it a tremendous waste of time.

yes I know "Its the worlds most popular sport" I get that.

7. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I love the sport, but i can agree it can be hard to watch on tv sometimes. FIFA also need to do something about the dives.

The last world cup game i was at was Holland V Brazil in the 1994 quarterfinal game in Dallas. The atmosphere rivaled and SEC rivalry game (Florida/Georgia or LSU/Bama). Only thing different was that there was not any deep-seated animosity of the by the fans. After the game, both groups partied together throughout Deep Ellum all night. My little brother and I were decked out in Dutch Orange and just happened to be in the middle of a sea of Brazilian Yellow. When the dutch scored, the Brazilians picked him up and passed him around in celebration. They also let us partake in the celebration when the Brazil scored and eventually won the game. Hands down, an awesome live experience.

8. Bates

Bates Freshman

hi everyone
    well its very difficult to guess beforehand
    we can not forget to take italy's name as they as they claimed the last world cup but i am gonna cheer my team BRAZIL i am also going to south africa for the brazil and portugal match
    i have infact got my Masters Tickets for the match.
    its going to be rocking!!

9. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

wow. bots are getting more and more intelligent.