WHO'S BETTER XAVIER OR EARLY?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUPHIL, Aug 7, 2004.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Shhh be quiet, leave them alone! Nobody asked you!! :grin: :wink:

2. Soap

Soap Founding Member

Don't know about X-man but Early won't be redshirting. He his the most ready for primetime from what reports say.

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I agree with Ramah as Early Doucet's the type of guy who scored when you put the ball in his hands...Not necessarily with speed, though he has it in spades...But because the kid just has a special knack for doing big things in big situations...

I think that Xavier Carter is a guy who-when you see his tapes-he just gets the ball, and then outruns people. He outruns the officials down the sideline with a 15 yard head start. He outruns the nearside corner. He outruns the safety with the angle on him up the sideline. He could probably outrun almost any SEC Football player right now.

The question is, how are his hands, and how will he react to the physical level of play that SEC Cornerbacks are going to give him. He's a track star. Devery was too, but he started out at running back, a far more rugged, demanding position.

How will any of the new wideouts respond to the duties that Clayton and Henderson excelled at that was such a precious commodity to our offense last year: Blocking downfield.

Will Doucet and Carter as well as Amp, Craig, & Dwayne (We know Skyler can) react to throwing downfield blocks, which probably NONE have been asked to do thusfar in their football careers.

My money's on Doucet to be a wire-to-wire special player for LSU Football.

My money's on Carter to evolve after at least a half season, or maybe even as a sophomore, as a feared over the top wideout the likes of which LSU hasn't seen in a while...

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Good analysis. My take is that Early will be an impact player almost from game 1 much in the way Michael Clayton was. Any contribution that the X Man makes this year will be a bonus.

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

X-man's going to have to adjust to running routes against D-1 players. He's not finesse, but I just think he's going to have to put some weight on and get physical...But, by game 6 or 7...and especially next year...Look out...

Early's going to be da man...but not like Clayton...Clayton came in as a possession type guy. He was a big play guy, but not a physical guy...I think Early's going to be a Skyler Green type...Just get him the ball, and watch him tear up the field...

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

This statement is kind of contradictory if you ask me, he was a possession guy, a big play guy and not a physical guy? I think I disagree with you but maybe I am just confused. He was a speed guy and also tough guy from day one. I saw him make a couple of long catches and circus catches downfield his freshman year as well as some slants where he got pounded and held on to the ball. 47 receptions for 754 yards, a 16 ypr average his freshman season. He ran one heck of a lot of clear outs for Josh too. Reed was our number one possession receiver MC's freshmen season, he just happoened to break a lot of those short passes into long gains. He the trget on almost every third down pass but couldn't be stopped.

Now your post right before that TE I thought was right on the money. Doucet is a playmaker, the Tigahs will just try to get him the ball in space similar to what we do with Skyler even though he isn't quite as quick as Skyler maybe; but he should be much stronger than Skyler and does have the ability to make people miss.

7. Tiger_23

Tiger_23 Founding Member

It's too early for comparisons. Carter weighed in at 206lbs yesterday & he doesn't need to gain any more weight. Also, Carter played in one of Florida's toughest classification (5A). Don't underestimate this kid.

8. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

This thread would be hillarious if it wasn't ridiculous....

Comparing incoming FRESHMEN against each other when they haven't even lined up for one single practice yet?

However, some of you all-knowing geniuses apparently broke out your crystal balls and have already gained insight as to who is going to be the biggest contributor to LSU's team this season.

What is funny is the fact that some of you actually have formed an opinion on this subject and attempt to support your opinion based on absolutely nothing.

I think Coach Saban would love to have the insight that some of you
    think you have.

This is a ridiculous topic.

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Completely legitimate question to ask, very difficult to answer with such limited information. Looking forward to seeing them up close and personal on Sunday. I'm can't remember when LSU had this much potential at WR.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Stripes, sorry we all are being so ridiculous trying to guess who may get the most playing time this year. Guess we should run all of our thread topics past you to get the ok before posting it.

Seems to me that no one is doing anything but speculating which one will have quickest impact after hearing Saban say the the incoming Freshmen Wr's appear to be too talented to redshirt. Don't understand what the hgarm is in us all taking a guess based on the video highlights we have seen and the stories we have read. We may all be way off, but what would this board be if we didn't speculate about things besides pretty empty and boring.