WHO'S BETTER XAVIER OR EARLY?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUPHIL, Aug 7, 2004.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's hard even to know what "best" is before they line up and play. Even then it may be a while before we know something. I've seen receivers like Carlos Carson, who hit the ground running and caught touchdown passes on his first 6 college receptions (an NCAA record) and went on to have a distinguished all-SEC career. I've also seen receivers like Josh Reed, who started slow, in the wrong position, but later developed into an All-American and a Biletnikoff trophy winner.

Who was best? The guy who came in with his top game and kept it for his entire career, or a guy who kept getting better during his career? Doesn't matter much does it?

Two hot receivers is better than one.

2. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

Well, I haven't personally seen them play, but my sister's boyfriend's cousin said he saw them both play and he said that "X is da man" so I gotta believe that that's the way it's gonna be. Judging by that, I'd forecast Xavier to average 1200 yards a year from his soph season on and a HOF career in the NFL and only 1050 yards a year for Early and just a couple of Pro-bowl appearances once HE gets to the NFL. So, yeah, X is definitely better man.:thumb:

3. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

This topic is about who is the better receiver RIGHT NOW. Another words, for the slow posters like STRIPES, who is better based on what has been observed in their high school days. Who is the better potential talent for Saban to develop. I'm not sure why STRIPES is getting his panties in a bunch here. Nobody has mentioned anything about who is the better college player cause they haven't played a single down in college yet. It's all speculation on what has been said and observed up to this point.

If you don't like the topics around here, go back into hibernation where you were better suited, STRIPES. :thumb:

4. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

Uh, not to rain on your parade, but explain to me how you can talk about how good a guy is right now, then bring potential into the conversation. It would seem it's an either/or proposition. What I got from the original post was that the remark was that Early is a better athlete and has more potential, making him "better" as a future prospect, hence the "potential" word. If I wanted to know who was better in high school, I'd look at their past.

Maybe the first post should have been worded, "Who do you feel will become the better receiver?" Still a tough thing to answer given the body of their work so far, but I certainly down't think he was trying to determine who everyone thought was better in high school.

5. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Hey, "I of the ....."

To use your term, "RIGHT NOW" neither player has ever practiced a damn down against college competition. Therefore, what are you basing your opinions on?

Some of you guys are unbelieveable. I still can't believe that this topic is taken so seriously by people like yourself. Amazing.

6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I know Early was primarily a QB in HS but how many snaps per game did he get at WR? Why do some of you think he'll give us an immediate impact at WR while Xavier (who played mostly WR in HS) will have more of an adjustment?

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Last year Early was invited to the Miami camp. He chose to participate as a WR. Despite never being a WR in HS, he came away with the MVP trophy working against some of the best HS players around. XC is speed personified. Both had stellar HS careers with many accolades. This is the reason along with Hawkins, Bowe, Hill, Davis, and Green, that I state that I have never seen this much potential at WR. But potential (excluding Skyler) means you haven't done it yet. We will find out very soon who is going to contribute this year. I hope that every single one of our WR has an All-American year. By definition, this would mean that we also have a QB (I could care less who it is as long as we win) who is also having success ! Let's quick bickering over semantics. Stick a fork in this thread, its done !

8. Gandalf

Gandalf Founding Member

I agree that this thread should be done, but before it goes, I would just like to say that the quote above gives me a stiffie.

9. Tiger_23

Tiger_23 Founding Member

But how can anyone say that either one is a better athlete? Carter played three sports in HS at a very high level. Being "fast" is just part of his attributes.

10. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Very simple. These two were observed in high school to give one an idea of who is the better receiver as of right now. This observation also gives us an insight on who has the better potential. See, not so hard.