Why a Bama insider as new coach?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerm, May 6, 2003.

1. tigerm

tigerm Founding Member

It seems to me that Bama needs to replace Mal Moore. His intention to hire someone with "bama ties" seems to be misguided - along the lines of what we used to hear about LSU needing to hire someone with LSU ties. Thank God we broke this paradigm with Saban. All that inbreeding does is continue the "old boy" network.

However - all that being said I hope Mal Moore stays. He seems likely to screw this one up too - which bodes well for the Tigers.

2. lsu nut

lsu nut Founding Member

Well Dinardo did not have LSU ties and neither did Hallman. I don't see where LSU was ever really hiring coaches because they had LSU ties.

Archer had LSU ties because he coached under Arnsparger but I don't think Arnsparger had LSU ties before he came to LSU.

After Stoval the only coach I can see that was hired with LSU ties was Archer

3. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I agree on getting away from a "Bama Guy" for coach.

Ever since the Bear left it has consistently been a Bama guy at the helm and outside of Stallings' years the Tide hasn't been close to the Bear era. And Stallings era is black-eyed as well with the probation. I think the only "outsider" before Price was Curry and he did pretty well but was run-off b/c he was not a bama guy.....correct me if I'm wrong.

In 21/22 years......whatever it has been Bama has tried to keep everything under Bear roots and it does not looked to have worked yet and no reason to believe it will. This is the perfect time to wipe the slate clean and go elsewhere. For starters, I would rid the admin and staffs of Bear disciples starting with Moore. I don't believe Moore hired Dubose but his entire tenure has been riddled with controversy and embarassment....not a good track record.

Bama fans do scream about keeping it in the family but I guaranty you if they win it wouldn't matter if the telle-tubbies were coaching....the bama faithful would be happy.

Bama has a new president who looks like he is not going to put up with any bullshit.....ie Price's firing. A quick thought: Prior to the "Destiny" issue apparently Price had been disciplined by the "admin". who was that "admin"? Moore only or was President Whitt involved. Allow president Whitt to go out and pick a good AD...their are plenty...with no ties to Capstone. Let the new AD pick the next coach....although the bama supporters won't like it....I promise if he wins it won't matter......remember telle-tubbies.

A bama guy at the helm is to influenced by the other disciples and boosters with deep roots. An outsider may listen but will do his own thing. If you could clone Saban I think he would be a perfect fit....just don't take the one we've got.

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Good points. Think of it this way. Although baseball isn't as big as football it's not far off at LSU. When Skip left...did anyone give a flyin shit who the new coach was or where he was from. Everyone assumed it would be a Bertman disciple but I don't think it really mattered to the fans. Granted Laval was here a year ahead of time but even then no one really cared.