WHY are ESPN and ABC making such a big deal about the Rose Bowl being THE Bowl?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBud, Dec 12, 2003.

1. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

SELF INTEREST.

Think about it. In most years, the other BCS bowls are window dressing. The only reason that they get a split of the money is to spread it around in different years.

And, typically, these other BCS games aren't that well viewed and so the advertising dollars suffer for those games.

IF they (ABC and its spoiled child, ESPN) can drum up all of this CRAP for the Rose Bowl, then they can charge advertiser EVEN more for that game.

Secretly, these "executives" are hoping that USC gets DRUMMED.

WHY?

Because then they have three days to build up the Sugar Bowl in the same manner they're building up the Rose Bowl, i.e., as the TRUE National Championship game.

Once again, it's all about the $$$$$'s.

And, ESPN and its "experts" are being ABC's lapdog.

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

LSUBud...We have kinda thought that all week...I hope you didn't sit down to try to analyze and think this situation through...

It's kind of "transparently obvious" as it was from about 2 hours from the end of the shows themselves on Sunday afternoon...

3. LSUweezie

LSUweezie Founding Member

I don't rember any of this boycot stuff when FSU went with 1 loss and that was to Miami who also had 1 loss

4. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

this is the first time the AP and ESPN polls had a #1 team that didn't make the title game... that's why it's more of a story.

5. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

While "readily transparent", I haven't seen it posted. Nor have I seen a "less biased" journalist state it.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

ESPN cablecasts a lot of good Pac-10 and Big-10 games. On the other hand, CBS gets the best SEC games. It is network bias towards the conferences they show.

Also they are trying to make "a story" out of this to keep viewer interest (and advertiser dollars) up until the bowl games start. In two weeks this will be an "old story" and they will have moved on. Trev is clearly the designated controversy guy to play off against his more conservative colleagues.

Remember these characters are not unbiased observers and analysts . . . they are ENTERTAINERS. And there is a sucker born every minute.

7. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I disagree. I don't think there is any doubt that ABC/ESPN will hype USC and the Rose Bowl up until kickoff.

It's a perfect situation for them to get higher ratings ...

8. TigerLicks

TigerLicks Founding Member

The guys from ESPN were showing their colors during the Boise St/ Hawaii game late Sat. night. They began their rhetoric as soon as it became apparent USC wasn't going to be in(giving ABC the Pac 10 vs Big 10 NC Game- giving them the much more marketable game for their conference alliances they have contracts with). It was so obvious Sat. night it was pathetic.

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

The Sugar Bowl is on ABC this year also guys.........

It says so on the LSU schedule at LSUSports.net

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

All the BCS bowl games are televised by ABC ...