Why Bama So Successful?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I want you guys to know that LSU will be playing 3rd fiddle to Bama and Miss St next year at best.
    Please don't get mad at me, this is only my honest opinion.
    Bama has done nothing but improve this season and this experience isn't going to do anything but help them play against "all" sec teams next year.
    I think Miss St and Bama will be the teams to beat in "all" of the SEC in basketball next
    year but I do realize anything could be possible

2. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Because of talent

Gottfried has always recruited well.
    Withe Kennedy Winston and Shelton he has two of the most talented players on one team in the country. They can beat you off the dribble or hit the three. In addition they have a senior point guard.
    That is a lethal combination when they are hot. They just kill a zone like Syracuse plays. LSU always plays man to man which puts more pressure on them. When both Winston and Shelton are on their game they would give us fits even with Lloreda.l

3. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Gottfried has this team doing better than anyone, and I do mean anyone, expected. We were picked middle of the pack in the West when the season began and 99% of us Bama fans were just hoping for a NIT bid. This is the farthest Bama has ever gone in the NCAA tournament, our first Elite 8. Believe me, there were people calling for coach Gottfried's head at mid season. Looks like we may have to keep him a while longer.

Gottfried has recruited pretty good and it seems we will have another good group coming in for next year.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

More evidence that fans outside the inner circle don't know enough to judge coaching ability.

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Well, let's see...THEY get Shelton back and advance to the Elite Eight, where I think they have a good shot at upsetting UConn and getting to San Antonio. We, on the other hand, lose our star post player, lose
    7 of our last 8 (including one-and-done in the Nobody's Interested Tournament) and are watching 'Bama's success on TV.

CAN one player make a difference? I think I'll let you make the call.

6. friday

friday Founding Member

Two Words - Point Guard. I raised this yesterday and now it's even more pronounced after last night. look at the teams left in the tourney. most of them have good point guards that stretch the d. bama, st joes, OSU, duke. why did syr lose to bama last night? one major reason. no true PG led to a bunch of turnovers early in that 2nd half when bama made their run. it's not rocket science. you need a PG who thinks about passing before shooting. Jameer nelson is an abberation - the guy can do it all. you cannot go far in the tourney unless you've got a quality PG or just loaded with quality unselfish players. not to compare the NBA, but what's wrong with the hornets? BD rather shoot then dish. when he plays a patient game, he gets eveyone else involved. otherwise, they stand around uninspired and wait for baron to jack up a three. no different when tack minor does the same thing

7. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Got a better coach & better facilities :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob: :cry: :sob:

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Kennedy Winston and Earnest Shelton are two of the best perimeter players in the SEC and they complement each other well. Winston has a great individual game to get baskets at the end of the shot clock if the offense doesn't produce an open look. Shelton is solid and can hit open shots. Throw them in with with 2 big men that can block shots and rebound and you have a solid team.

Maybe the biggest difference is their shooting. They hit 50% of their shots and 40% of their 3 pointers. IF they can do that against UConn while playing decent defense they can win.

9. LSULSULSU

LSULSULSU Founding Member

You are right. E. Martin was senior when we were in Final Four. Magic Johnson is an exception