Why did Skip Choose Miles?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUAthletics, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Maybe Skip liked the name or thought he could get more money for his Miles instead of Les. :grin: :wink:

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

We went out to Jax to interview Del Rio, but for whatever the reason, he stood us up. I've read reports that perhaps he never went through the proper channels for asking permission from the Jaguars front office.

Spurrier would not leave USC. As much as we're all foaming at the mouth to get him, face it, he signed with USC and there isn't anything that we can do to lure him away at this point (here's hoping for miracles, but it 'aint gonna happen).

Tedford is happy at Cal. His biggest concern with the Cal administration, and he was very vocal about it, was their lack of funding to improve fascilities. They've since given him their indorsement and commitment to building better fascilities, plus a fat contract extension. Tedford, for his part, will see those projects through. He's also a career "west coast guy". Fresno St. alum (if I'm not mistaken) with coaching stents at Fresno St., Oregon and Cal. His only stent away from the west coast was in the CFL for a few years.

Petrino, for whatever reason, burned too many bridges and it's observed by some that he handled things poorly (which, I don't really see how you can blame him for this whole process other than by branding him "guilty" based on his Auburn fiasco last year). I mean, he, at the least, interviewed out of professional courtesy....but decided to stick with the Cardinals. Some people here think that was a slap in the face because Louisville isn't a "football school" that we are. However, with Louisville joining the Big East next season and with BC's departure, and Pitts' new coaching staff, and no VT or Miami, all of a sudden, Louisville is the front-runner to the Big East title (which will still hold their BCS spot in the near future. Don't know how much longer, but for the time being, it's still there), so Petrino is in line to be in a BCS bowl via the east Big East route, rather than the tougher SEC road.

There's no doubt that we used our resources on this one. Do I think Miles was the front-runner all along? Certainly with names like Tedford, Spurrier, etc, I think not. But I do think he's (Miles) is a quality coach with a lot of potential. He has guided the OSU program from the basement of the Big XII into a ledgit foe and he has done this while competeing in what is largely considered the best division in college football, without the benefit of having all the "bells and whistles" that Texas and OU have.

3. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Boston, great post.

Rep points