Why did Tulane leave the SEC?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BrettStah, Sep 14, 2006.

1. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

It happened before my time... seems like they chose poorly. Even if they would have been a bottom-dweller like Vandy usually is, they'd at least be raking in the BCS money each year, plus the nice payouts playing the well-attended games against most of the other SEC schools.

2. edyel

edyel edyel

Because they kept getting the crap beat out of them by SEC teams.:hihi:

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

That is probably the one thing fans still won't forgive the school for doing.

That was part of Tulane's de-emphasizing athletics idea. :dis:

Needless to say, it wasn't the smartest decision ever made. And the school is still paying for it.

4. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

It really is a crying shame. LSU fan tho I am, I was raised a Tulane fan. My dad gets so angry about how stupid the administration has become to throttle back on athletics. They had a neat stadium and everything. IT WAS LSU'S ONLY REAL RIVAL!!!

:( :( :(

I wish they'd get better.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I don't. Tulane fans call up Baton Rouge talk radio and talk sh1t about LSU all freaking day. There's a large contingent of N.O. natives who hate LSU and love Tulane.....

Tuck Fulane.

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Their baseball team beat us 12-5 @ Zephur last year. LSU gave up 14 hits and 8 walks to Tulane's 2 walks and 10 hits. But even at the Box they played us tight....4-3 I believe.

I know we get their best game but I was bitterly impressed. :nope:

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Tulane is making a major investment by building a new baseball stadium, and they have an excellent baseball coach in Jones. I think the LSU/Tulane baseball rivaly is going to be strong for quite some time.

I understand Tulane is working on plans to at least renovate their basketball facility. I think they have a coach with Dave Dickerson that can turn around the basketball program. I'm not saying national contender every year, but to have a pretty good team.

Football is a major woe and where their big problem is. Not having an on campus stadium hurts their attendence. Their lack of winning kills what could be left of attendence. If football at Tulane is going to survive, it must have a major overhaul.

There are plans for bringing back a lot of the small sports (golf, tennis) that Tulane had to cut after Katrina. Ironically, other than baseball, those were their strongest sports. I know that the AD (who, BTW, is from Tulsa, OK) is working hard at bringing those sports back.

The majority of Tulane fans hate LSU and the majority of LSU fans hate Tulane. It's like Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. There are, however, some LSU fans that cheer for Tulane when they are not playing LSU. And there are some Tulane fans that cheer for LSU when they are not playing Tulane.

8. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Becasue you can only be called Too Lame for so long.

9. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

Or Onelane.

10. smackdaddy

smackdaddy Founding Member

either 1.) this is a joke, 2.) you are a total noob, or 3.) you are 15 and just started following LSU....

Tulane has had the best baseball program in the state for 6 solid years now. Its not even close. I think we have 4 wins over them in that time (maybe 5), including postseason. They swept the state twice in that span (won all games vs in state opponenents, approx 17 or 18 wins).