Why did Tulane leave the SEC?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BrettStah, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Oops I just noticed this was an older thread.

Anywho, like someone said earlier Tulane was tired of losing at Football. Additionally even in the '60's they could not spend the Money LSU did on recruiting. The academic standards were a little tougher, & it was hard to field a competitive team.

By the way, I still hate Tulane the most & I am from New Orleans. Tulane fans particularly have the ability to ignore facts, forget history & basically lie about how great Tulane is. The late 70's & early 80's were tough since that was when Tulane was last able to compete with & beat LSU in football.

2. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I remember it very well, and you are right. It was not the smartest thing Tulane has ever done. I don't see how getting out of the SEC de-emphasized athletics since they still have an athletics department and compete in virtually every sport.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This is possibly the most preposterous story I've heard so far this year.

• Q. Who gives a damn about Tulanes colors or if their nickname is plural?
    • A. Effing nobody. Not then and not now.
    Consider that dementia may affect "Old Tulane Insiders", Bengali.

1 person likes this.
  4. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

True or not I kinda like the story!! I think it is fun and adds a little flair to a very boring program! I think they should run with it!!!

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I have no problem with "Running with it", just suspicious of a first time poster kicking up an 5 yr. old thread. :thumb:

I would love to hear your opinion on the thread topic. What do you think about the pros and cons of the situation?

6. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Has it been 5 years already?

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I meant to type mos.......the thread was 5 months old but Tulane left in the 60's.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The Metro Conference had a chance to be a good conference...it's a "what could have been situation."

While people are talking about it being a mistake for Tulane, I wonder how the Ga. Tech fans felt about it. Both were charter members of the Metro.

9. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

I'm sure it had to do with the economics at the time--they simply thought that they had more to gain by being independent. At the time if you were a resonably successful team, it probably was to your benefit because the conferences were not the money making monsters that they are today. Being independent back then was not an unpopular choice. Close to a third of the teams were independent. While most would be considered mid-majors today, there are a number of BCS teams today ( mostly in the ACC and BE) that were also independent (Boston College, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pitt, S. Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia). By the early 80's the economics switched and the Independents started joining conferences. My guess is that the bowl tie-ins started the process and the TV contracts finished it.

10. danthetigerfan

danthetigerfan Founding Member

I think LSU and Tulane will not have a baseball rivalary! Hell the Tigers have to win a couple before that could ever happen:wink: :hihi: