Why didn't tigerband play "Neck"?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by vesperiaLSU, Nov 21, 2010.

1. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Thats's probably the best idea I've heard.

I have zero issues with taking on a group. It's my job. In fact, if anyone found something offensive they could let any marshal know inconspicuously and we would address it. If it continued they would find their way out.

2. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

1) The band actually practiced with the students before a few games trying to get the Tigers chant to catch on. So it wasn't just something in the school paper. Tiger Band reached out to work with the students.

2) You totally missed what I said. It's not specifically about the vulgarity, its the perception that LSU is leading the vulgar cheers with the songs. As many have said, students are going to be students, but that doesn't mean LSU has to look like they are leading the vulgarity. It gives a horrible impression of the university to rest of the country.

3. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Yep... People will forget that we throw urine filled balloons before too long if the students keep it up.. :cool:

And for what it's worth, I think it's a damned shame that a few knuckleheads are ruining it for the rest of us. The really ironic thing about it is, in 20+ years, those students will be complaining about the student body's even more vulgar chants.

4. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

Yep, cause there is proof of that on national television.:rolleye33:

5. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

They played the oeo song earlier and all I heard was "you suck". Some of the others are bad, but I think that's where I can draw the line and say your skin isn't thick enough if all they(we) say is you suck.

6. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

1) Again, TGBFT practicing with students before a few games is NOT the same thing as a large-scale, coordinated effort by the administration and AD to drastically reduce the vulgarity in the student section. Tiger Band's efforts are admirable, but they're not enough.

2) What exactly am I missing here? Tiger Band is absolutely right to eliminate songs to avoid giving that impression. What I AM saying is it's not going to do a thing to mitigate the problem, and actually leads to worse profanity with existing songs. It may eventually escalate to the point that there won't be any songs without significant profanity, and they may all have to be removed entirely.

Obviously since we're at the point where songs are being eliminated on a yearly basis, both Tiger Band and the administration believe the vulgarity is causing a big perception problem for the university in front of national TV audiences. And they are correct in that. Whether viewers come to the conclusion that somehow the band is leading vulgar cheers is a big logical reach and splitting hairs IMO. After all, what kind of impression did the students make by chanting "F*** you Saban" en masse without ANY help from Tiger Band?

What I'm not seeing is an appropriately scaled response to this problem by the AD or the LSU administration in general. i don't have an education or experience in public relations, but the AD has plenty of smart people who do, and they should be able to come up with some sort of plan of attack. For whatever reason, however, they think that kind of effort isn't warranted, and it's just easier to let Tiger Band handle it. The profanity problem is just going to get worse until the AD can no longer ignore it. Again, Alleva had no problem firing off a mass email when he believed the booing was about to hurt LSU's bottom line. I'd hate to think that out of negligence or laziness, this isn't being viewed as a problem on a similar scale.

7. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Aww lighten up. I was being a bit sarcastic.. We're in agreement, these students with the bright idea to do these vulgar chants are idiots. It's a poor representation of the university and it's fans. Like I said, it sucks that a few knuckleheads ruin it for everyone.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

The band can eliminate songs from their repertoire in order to avoid organized vulgarity all they want and never run out of good songs.

I always liked Shaft. maybe they can play that after bad calls ( like the late hit on Matthieu in the Ole Mess game).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlsufZj9Fg&feature=related"]YouTube - Shaft (1971) - Opening Credit[/ame]

any other suggestions?

9. stevescookin

How about this after HUGE hits by Kelvin Shepard...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct4sVVqeoUE]YouTube - Right Place , Wrong Time[/ame]

10. stevescookin

Or during booth reviews by the refs during instant replays...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhViRRmCvTI]YouTube - Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) (3HQ) Whats The Buzz - Mystifying (((Stereo))) {HQ} (Repost)[/ame]