Why do we keep losing recruits???

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by lsutygrfan3710, Jan 19, 2010.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Re: Why do we keep loosing recruits???

Boards can be influential especially to in-state recruits who have friends and family who regularly visits sites pertaining to LSU. So I do agree on that part.

But not for these specific recruits and the reasons are obvious. I hope Don knows this...

However, Dandy Don used this opportunity to get his point across even though it is not the reason in these instances which I don't fault him for.

2. tigerfan1974

tigerfan1974 Veteran Member

Touche

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I think our play the last 2 years and the coaching upheavals may have something to do with it, but look at who we are losing and where they're from. By my count, we've gotten 3 major commitments who then de-committed; Davis from Dallas, Storm who-ever from Georgia and now Hunter from Virginia. Not exactly LSU recruiting hotbeds. Over the last 2 years, we've had major recruiting success, but its mostly come from in-state and in our traditional hotbeds like Houston. This is a down year in-state, so we're having to spread our horizons to bring in the type of class we're used to. Next year looks like a better in-state year, and - what do you know - we've already locked up a significant part of that class.

Bottom line...both the '03 and '07 NC teams consisted mostly of players from our recruiting strongholds. We can be an upper-echelon program by staying in those areas, but we have to realize that its going to be tough sledding when we occasionally have to expand....like this year.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Ahhh, some common sense.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

at the army navy game Marsh was chanting LSU, LSU, LSU on the sideline after he blocked the field goal. What the hell is going on with these kids man.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Bet you didn't expect that! :lol: :lol:

7. LSUMASTERMIND

actually ,yes I did:hihi:

8. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Sorry, I don't buy that these out of state recruits are perusing message boards and making decisions based upon what TSDude said about Gary Crowton - that's awfully presumptuous.
    If I had to point to one thing and one thing only, I'd say location, location, location. We're talking about a kid from Virginia coming to Baton Rouge or in the case of Marsh, from California to Louisiana. That's a long way from home. Need only to read what Joe Barksdale said about how homesick he was when he first got here. Plus, the families are fighting it because they won't get to see their family member play but a few times a year. I know if my son were playing at Virginia Tech or UCLA that I could only afford to take the rest of the family to see him once or twice a year.
    I got what DD was trying to do but I don't agree with him. Message boards are here for the purpose of spouting whatever nonsense you or anyone else wants. If someone is so naive to let a semi-anonymous poster like me influence their decision making process then they have much bigger issues to worry about. Then again, there's a reason Jim Jones and David Koresh had such "sheep" following them.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

probably not alot of them, but some, I would say yes. Guys dont want to be trashed or hear how about the coaching is.

10. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

I swear I think that sometimes the recruits just want attention. When they are early commits, they feel left out of the party when their team mates and other recruits are still being courted.

Maybe, too, it's because young folks sometimes have a hard time sticking with a decision. Think how many girlfriends and boyfriends some of them go through - it may be the same with "I love LSU" - "This week". Their minds are as changeable as the weather.

To a recruiter, it must be a lot like herding cats.

I think we'll be fine - we'll lose some that we thought we had, but we'll get some we didn't really expect.

One other thing - what is this "Coaching Debacle" folks are talking about? And what changes in coaching staff this year have been a bad thing? :geaux: