Why don't we sack the QB

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by southerntgr, Sep 26, 2011.

1. southerntgr

southerntgr Veteran Member

I know we have the best defense EVER but why don't we ever go after the quarterback?:tigereye:

1 person likes this.
  2. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Guest

Because we have not had to yet.

3. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

Pressure on the QB certainly would have been nice vs. WVU. In the second half when LSU got flagged for hitting the QB after the whistle blew, I was at first upset at the penalty, but then quickly happy as it was the first time their quarterback got knocked on his ass. He was a little too comfortable back there, and a few more hits may have knocked him and their offense a little out of sync.

4. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Against WVU, they didn't rush the LB's but held them back to protect against the big play on a short pass.

I was like everyone else, until someone here pointed out that fact. Makes sense.

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

We DO go after the QB. We just didn't Saturday night. Here's my best guess as to why.

WVU doesn't excel in the downfield passing game. WVU has no real running game. What they DO have, and execute to near perfection, is a quick strike short passing game. They have Geno Smith, Tavon Austin, and Steadman Bailey, who work together like a machine. They typically take about 2 seconds to get the ball out of Smith's hands and to their playmakers in space. Typically, it nets them about 5-7 yds...with a good chance of breaking one if the first tackle is missed.

Our weakest link on defense is the LB corps. It was a no brainer WVU would use their strength against our weakness. The only way I thought it could be stopped is if Eric Reid or Loston was able to decleat one of their receivers early on. It never happened. TM7 got his with the interception, but we never instilled fear in them. One good pop and they would've begun to think twice before going over the middle on the quick hitters.

We blitzed a couple of times, but we usually blitz a couple of times per SERIES. We hit Smith a couple times, but like I said earlier, he usually has the ball out of his hands in a matter of 2 seconds or so. Later in the game, it appeared LSU laid back knowing they couldn't get to him in time. That gave the appearance of Smith having all day to throw, because he DID have all day. In MOST cases though, he had nobody to throw to. Unfortunately, it DID work a couple of times, and they had big plays.

Bottom line, we won by 4 TDs. After Claiborne's return, they were no longer in the game. What pressure we did get was in part responsible for the INTs, and the MISSED INTs. If Muncie and Taylor could catch better, there would've been more turnovers.

I agree this offensive output by WVU exposed LSU a bit, but again, it was a bend but don't break strategy. I don't see another team on our schedule that can exploit this. LSU is an incredible defense against the run, and if a team wants to throw downfield, they better have some amazing WRs and one helluva OL. We WILL blitz and apply pressure, and our secondary is good enough to hang with any of the receiving corps we will see from here on out. Actually UF has the best chance to exploit it, but I don't think they have the overall team to beat LSU. Bama will run the ball, but that's running into LSU's strength. Arkansas isn't as good as expected, especially without Kniles Davis. There is nobody else on our schedule that SHOULD be able to hang with us.

6. southerntgr

southerntgr Veteran Member

Watching the WVU with my dad, he asked why don't we sack the qb? I told him LSU isn't trained for sacking the other team's qb's. Right when I said that Adam sack WV's quarterback for a 15 yard penalty and I looked at him and said there is your answer.

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

For what it's worth, I was seated in the very last row of the entire stadium, and I clearly heard the whistle blow several times before Adams 'sacked' Smith. It was a legit penalty.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I believe LSU sacked the MSU QB 4 times in the game before this one. I'm quite certain we are 'trained' to sack the QB...

8. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Who's a jigga what?

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I was incorrect...we sacked MSU's QBs 5 times...FIVE.

10. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

We don't wanna hurt them. That's just mean