Why even play the game on saturday?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by USNavyTiger, Mar 19, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Wait a minute, I'm trying to understand your point here. You say we should be LESS proud of the Tigers for them getting to this point, because they haven't beat anyone? You argue we should measure your success, then by simply who you beat then? Well, who determines whether who we beat is worthy of such distinction? If it's Duke or UNC, it's legit, but if it's Iona (tournament champions in their division) it's worthless? I suppose that's what the RPI is for, right (and we had a top 12 RPI, and we're amongst the top 16 teams left)?

I guess my retort would be that I DO think we should celebrate us getting to the Sweet 16, regardless of who we've beaten. Anyone who follows basketball, would tell you, making it to the Sweet 16 is a mark of legitimacy for a program, reaching the Final Four is icing on the cake (e.g., basketball pundits measure a programs success by the number of sweet 16s a team's been to year after year).

Case in point #1, LSU has played two very good teams and advanced, when we can see:

Roy Williams and UNC lose to George Mason.
    Kansas loses to Bradley. Bradley beats Pitt.
    Northwestern State beats Iowa.
    Wichita St beats Tennessee.

If these "prestige" teams had won, would you have discredited then their wins because of their opponents? There's a lot more parity in college basketball than people would admit, and I for one think that our sweet 16 is a big deal.

Case in point #2: Big 10 teams (arguably second best conference overall) in the Sweet 16? Zero. You don't think that Big 10 fans would rather be SEC fans right now?

I suppose you can say that we should have been in the sweet 16 given that as a 4 seed, we should have beat a 13 seed and a 12 seed (but we're playing in the second week, and Ohio State, UNC, Illinois, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Kentucky... and the list goes on:) ... are not). So, if we had played Syracuse, a 5 seed, you would have been happier? Syracuse was clearly outplayed by a 12 seed.

I guess bottomline I don't get the comment that we should somehow discredit the Tigers' performance just because they played lower seeds and won.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BEAT DUKE!!!

P.S. LSU plays the Dookies at 7:10 p.m. EST on Thursday.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Like I said. Some people just don't get it.

3. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I get what he is saying and do not think he said the Tigers deserve no credit. He said over and over again that he is happy where we are and we should be proud of them.

He didn't start the sarcastic thread. Some other dude did who wanted to rub anyone who has ever said anything bad about Brady nose's in it. He was answering that by saying let's not jump for joy yet and claim that this is the best LSU team ever.

They beat A & M and Iona and the guy who started the post wants to start a fight with everybody who has criticized Brady. Everybody needs to get over it.........we're in the Sweet 16, happy to be there.....now let's go play better than we have the last 2 games against Duke cause we'll need it.

4. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Well...we can all agree on this...

:geauxtige

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

The question is will you ever get it, I'm thinking you will not.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's tough dealing with beings of lesser intelligence, but I persevere in hopes that someday the light will shine through.

7. ramah

ramah Founding Member

There will be no shame in losing to the eventual National Champ.

LSU has had a great season with a limited bench.

Brady exceeded all expectations with 25 + wins. Throw him a bone.

But it's time for LSU to exit now ... they face a "REAL" team with a "REAL" coach that doesn't allow 17 point runs by opponents ... K can make adjustments and he already has put the finishing touches (i'll bet) on his "whip lsu" gameplan.

Can LSU up their 35% shooting (A&M game stats) against Duke ... and a coach like K.

Duke will win by double digits ... it's coming! Duke is favored by 6.5 ... they'll cover.

I wonder what their biggest "run" against LSU will be ... my guess is at least 10-12 points ... double digits

What a coincidence ... that run will prolly be the margin of victory.

I wonder what Brady will be doing during that run ... scratching his ass or his brainbucket ... or both, at the same time, lol.

A man's got to know his limitations. K is gonna shool Brady Thursday.

If LSU wins Thursday ... it'll be another miracle like a 23 ft jumper on a terrible 16% 3-point shooting night ... when an LSU coach sat by and allowed a 17-0 run ... and then another 7 point run to tie a game when it could have been salted at the two minute mark ... it won't be because of coaching.

So the REAL QUESTION is ... Who do you like in the Duke/Texas game?

8. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

The glass is half-empty.

The glass is half-full.

Man, you guys are an easy study.... :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Nevertheless, :geauxtige :thumb: