Why Everyone hates Universal health care

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

If I'm reading the article correctly it's because they're grossly misinformed by people afraid of the current healthcare system changing.

What do I win? :hihi:

3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Pretty accurate from my viewpoint.

4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I was in England for three years while serving in the US Navy. I had two visits to the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, a small village within greater London.

Besides have the hottest nurses EVER, I had very very good health care. I was not only NOT PAYING for it, I was not even a citizen of the county that provides the "free" health care.

The first was a Kidney Stone and the second was a gall bladder inflamation. I was seen promptly both times and treatment was excellent.

I also spent 24 years in the Navy. Military medicine is as close to "socialized medicine" as you can get. I am still alive and kicking.

The issue is greed, not the quality of medical care. The powerful just use fear to incite the "little people" to do their bidding. Sounds familiar.

5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

People need to learn what insurance is and that you have to pay for it.

6. Sourdoughman

Just because you didn't pay for it doesn't mean that it was free.
    Someone else had to pay for it.
    Well at least you didn't have something more serious or maybe things would have been different?
    I don't know, if you support socialized medicine good for you.
    Like Rex B told our soldier in Iraq.
    Your view isn't the only one out there on this subject.
    Just because you have had better experiences than others doesn't mean you are correct.

My wife was in the Air Force and was diagnosed with a fatal disease about 19 years ago yet she is still alive. (mis-diagnosed)
    Also she has had to go to the Va quite a few times, I can't tell you how long it takes to get an appointment and be seen over there other than months.
    She wanted to see a foot doctor but she had to go see a regular doctor there first before she could get that far.
    She saw the regular doctor and she was scheduled to see the regular doctor again instead of the foot doctor? no one knows why that happened?:confused:

You had good experiences, good for you but it doesn't mean just from your experience alone that you have all the answers.
    If you want to talk about greed look at the power and corruption of your government and their hostile takeover of the health industry.
    Something that they don't have support for in the polls.

I love it when leftists talk about greed of the private sector while totally ignoring the greed and power in government.
    I didn't direct my last sentence at you btw.

7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I generally use my experiences to form my opinions. Can't believe that is an issue. I find it greatly preferable to getting my take from talk radio.

I guess I could have talked about my 10 years as an exec at a Fortune 100 insurance services corporation, but then, that would have been based on experience, as well.

I am glad your wife was mis-diagnosed and is alive and well.

And, the VA is a different animal. Went in one time for a back xray while home on leave, and the doctor thought he had made a discovery that all my internal organs were backward. At some point he screamed at me for "flipping over on the table" just as the xray was taken in order to embarrass him. I crawled out and back to may car.

hwr

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

So let me get this straight: You feel the way the medical care is paid for is responsible for this outcome?

Would you care to explain how so many countries with socialized healthcare have citizens who are healthier than the US population with that same magical formula?

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

partially because americans eat much worse than anyone else and are lazy slobs.

10. Sourdoughman

I have no problem with ones opinion based on experience.
    I shared my wife's and our experience with the VA just like you shared yours.
    Maybe i misunderstood?
    Your last statement seemed like you were blaming the private sector health care and pushing for the government run system?
    No system is perfect but I prefer the health care of today compared with the health care of tomorrow.