Why Everyone hates Universal health care

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Not only did I read the third paragraph I read the whole thing.
    Explain why you think we are a long way?
    They already use them for animals.
    Stranger things have happened!
    Did you read this?
    What is the RFID chip? It is a small electronic computer device placed into the skin of a person that can be used for identification, tracking, information storage and interfacing with external sources, such as for financial, business, commercial, governmental, educational, and medical institutions. In other words, an RFID can be utilized for every area of life.

I don't trust or like the government that much no matter who is in charge or responsible for this.
    They have always given innocent reasons for everything.
    Like Dingell said, they want to control us.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

would it be such a bad idea for everyone to carry a card (electronically read like a credit card) with a summation of their medical history, drug allergies, etc on it? how much time could be saved in er's, and how much better treatment could be given if this information was available to health care providers when needed?

hell, there are a few drugs i am allergic to, and even on a good day have problems remembering the name of one because it is fairly new and i discovered i am allergic the hard way. if i was in an er and scared out of my wits (or worse) and couldnt remember it, i wouldnt have to worry about it being given to me.

3. Sourdoughman

VeriChip Sells First Baby Protection System, in Talks with Military - Health Care IT from eWeek
    Quote:
    The company announced Aug. 24 that it has made the first sale of its infant protection, wander prevention and staff duress system to the Brampton Civic Hospital in Brampton, Ontario. Separately, the company confirmed a day earlier that it is in talks with the military to test its implantable chips in two branches of the military.

http://www.rfid-world.com/features/transportation/201805057

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's not a bad idea, but I don't want the government involved and I don't want them to have access to the information.

5. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I mentioned it in my response. Security is an issue. It's one thing to embed a chip with your name, parent's name, owners name, etc. under the skin. It's quite another to embed a chip with your entire medical history, social security number, etc., and other personal data when it's cannot be guaranteed to be secure. Its far to easily hackable. Even then, to require the information to be stored in such an invasive manner would be ruled as a grievous breach of personal privacy by even the most fascist courts.

It's fear-mongering at it's worst/best as the right tries to desperately to regain any power and it's pathetic when people fall for it. This is what allowed Same Sex Marriage become the dominant issue in the 2004 Presidential Election and Immigrants Rights become the dominant issue in the 2006 Elections. It preys on ignorance which is so abundant that we should be using it as currency. If the GOP had any clue, they'd learn from past mistakes in 1996 by the GOP and 2000 by the Democrats when instead of presenting solutions they engaged in name-calling and finger-pointing.

6. Sourdoughman

Wow, why the rant?
    No one here is sticking up or bringing up one party or the other.
    I stated that I don't trust the government especially when they think they can make better decisions for me such as social security.
    You will never convince me that government has my best interest at stake or that this is an innocent idea.
    Many things in government evolve over time and become something it never was intended to be.
    With government comes unintended consequences and that is one of my main concerns as well.
    No one is talking party here but you.
    The link I provided isn't a political affiliation either that I am aware of.

From Okies post about the Bush Administration.
    That doesn't surprise me, Both sides of government are the problem.

7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

You posted a link from a resource funded and supported by the John Birch Society, a well-known extreme-right opinionated group of people. They're far from independent and objective and by using them as a source, YOU began the conversation off on the "talking party" foot. Stay away from dubious "news" sources if you want to keep these discussions free from "party talk".

The legislation passed has nothing to do with RFID technology, but yet they feel the need to include "the possibility". Why? I listed examples of fear-mongering widely used that many people should be aware of and I mentioned the GOP because they're the ones responsible for the examples I posted. I'm not favoring either side because they're both equally worthless. As long as we have people who insist that one side is better or different, we're going to continue our cycle of stupidity.

Government doesn't have your interest at heart and I won't attempt to convince you otherwise since I share your feelings on the matter. Private enterprise doesn't have your interest at heart, either. So who does? You're kinda by yourself there, yet all of these entities affect you personally. The government exists; It's not going anywhere. It would behoove you to use it's resources to your advantage since (I assume) you pay taxes and that's what your taxes are used for.

I am really surprised that the hypocrisy of the GOP lashing out at this legislation has not been pointed out yet, since they're the very ones who proposed this back when the Clintons were trying to pass healthcare reform during his first term.

Back to the RFID technology: the most recent large-scale roll-out of the technology has been with the new US and German Passports. It took all of a few days for some random geek to hack and copy the data that the US Government "insisted" was secure. Wired Magazine had an article I think. It's pretty old news. I haven't read anything that suggests the issue has been resolved. The main concern is that there needs to be an infrastructure in place to make this data secure by encryption and that infrastructure doesn't exist. It's not even on the drawing board.

8. Sourdoughman

Although I have heard of the John Birch Society I had no idea which side of the fence they are on.
    I don't put in a lot of time researching links or sources because EVERYONE has a problem with almost EVERY source out there.
    So you are telling me what I need to stay away from when posting, party talk?
    Interesting...
    I don't know you seem to be doing a good job attacking one side.
    I'm sure the left isn't totally innocent here.
    I don't know but I have read lately that this technology has been used with the miltitary in many ways from supplies to soldiers.
    You are saying that isn't correct?
    There is plenty of hypocrisy to go around.
    I think you are being to general here and not specific.
    Just because some republicans support the GOP doesn't mean they support everything they do.
    Where they going to go? Support the Liberal party?
    Some GOP could be against this while others could be for it.
    I don't know.
    Well I hope you are correct here.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Imbedded chips are sci-fi, it ain't going to happen.

But secure National IDs are coming and are badly needed for national security, identity theft, and fraud protection. But it should have nothing but secure identification on it. Nothing that can be hacked from the card. It would just provide secure identification to anyone to use their own system to validate you. Nobody would have access to all ones records.

The government would only be able to verify you for information that they've already got, like social security, medicare, IRAs, selective service, IRS, etc, . Same with your bank and investment accounts, it just identifies you internally. Airlines would only have access to verify you on their own watch lists. The border patrol would only have access to your citizenship status. The police would only have access to your criminal record. Hotels and landlords would get nothing at all except assurance that the person they are dealing with is who he says he is.

Likewise your medical records would be on the secure servers of your provider and you would authorize medical professionals to see your records when they need them, using your ID. You could pre-authorize emergency use.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Dude, you didn't know you already had one? They're everywhere man!!!!!