Why is it that...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Purple Jungle, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

college stadiums are built to hold upwards of 100,000 people while NFL stadiums regularly hold around 65,000?

I thought the NFL was America's most popular sport. Moreover, there are far more college football teams than NFL teams.

Is it just that college football fans are more passionate about their teams? Does television have anything to do with it?

What do you guys think?

2. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

i think its a little bit of tv, ticket prices, game day expierence and passion for ones team. college football gameday is an all day event unlike nfl. jmho

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are only four college stadiums over 100,000. LSU is number 5 at 91,000. Most of the 117 Division I teams play in stadiums seating 45,000-70,000.

4. JDog

JDog Freshman

Even more to his point..

That is even more to his point. There are only 32? teams in the NFL playing in stadiums of 50-60K. There are 1?? D-1 schools playing in stadiums of at least 45K. Not too mention D-1AA schools with nice size stadiums that are often close to D-1 schools.

5. NFL vs. College

College football fans have something more to pull for than an NFL fan. At least in my view, coming back to BR for home games is a homecoming each week for me. The NFL are just a sports team that may or may not be there tomorrow. The colleges and universities that people pull for are more than just the football team.

Each fall Saturday is a chance for people to rekindle some of the memories that are cherished by each and every one of us. It's not just what the game day experience is now, but what it was when each of us went growing up with family, while attending the school with friends, etc. No pro sports franchise can even come close.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's got to be TV

Every pro game is televised. Big schools get a few games on TV, but at most schools, if you want to see the game, you have to have a ticket. LSU dropped Tigervision (PPV) for all home games after trying it for a few years because it hurt ticket sales.

7. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

It's the ticket prices, stupid.

(Sorry to be borrowing from Bill Clinton, cause I know who you all feel about him, but it seemed appropriate.)