Why isn't Obama getting blasted for not visiting Louisiana?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Aug 22, 2016.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

No votes to be gained; she knows she can't win LA anyway.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The thing about Bush was inaction on funding. Not the visit.

3. LaSalleAve

Holy shit.... Good for you man.

4. mctiger

No, people bitched because he did a fly-by instead of actually landing.

5. LaSalleAve

Maybe they did but I'm telling you the difference between the 2. I don't care who comes. Give up the money and do it fast. People don't need a visitor they need cash.

6. mctiger

I agree, and I consider myself incredibly fortunate that in both the cases of Katrina and the floods, I live just outside the affected region and don't need a dime's worth of relief. So I won't defend or criticize the speed of the response to either. I'm just addressing the original topic, which was Obama's putting his feet on the ground and shaking hands with victims. Unless he's personally putting FEMA checks in the hands of victims, its pure symbolism. But if it makes the victims feel good, I'm all for it. The real work, getting FEMA, SBA, etc, moving, is already done. On a side note, I'm interested to see if Hillary will match or top Trump's arrival with a check and a truckload of supplies. So far all she's said is that she will visit at such time as when her presence won't hinder relief efforts. That's fine too, but if you're going to show up at all, you'd better be bringing more than photographers with you.

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

At the time it WAS about his flyover and nothing to do with the money. And there's no maybe about it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071003222546/http:/www.hillaryclinton.com/files/audio/HRCscinv.mp3

"Calling the flyover a metaphor for Bush’s failed leadership candidate Obama said, “People looked up at the roof tops for too long they saw an empty sky.....We can talk about what happened for a few days in 2005 and we should,” Obama said. “We can talk about levees that could not hold … about a president who only saw the people from the window of an airplane instead of down here on the ground, trying to provide comfort and aid.”

"Without mentioning Bush directly, McCain said that when Katrina struck, "If I had been president, I would have ordered the plane landed at the nearest base and I'd have been over here." He repeated that later, saying, "I would've landed my airplane at the nearest Air Force base and come over personally."

"Hurricane Katrina in 2005 was the last straw for Bush's second term, with his widely criticized handling of the recovery pretty much precluding him from any kind of success in his final years in office. It was punctuated by his admonition that FEMA director Michael Brown was "doing a heckuva job" (amid a large number of complaints that Brown wan't up to the job), an iconic image of Bush flying over the wreckage of Katrina on his way back from a vacation rather than going there immediately, and rapper Kanye West saying during a Katrina telethon that Bush "doesn't care about black people." The last moment registered with Bush, who later called it the worst moment of his presidency."

So every facking person from Hillary to Obama to McCain to moronic Hollywood suck-ups were blasting Bush and pulling out the racist card but somehow Obama gets a hall pass? Fuck that.

shane0911 likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Obamahammad is in Baton Rouge today. Roads closed, massive traffic jams, etc. Thanks. I'm sure all the people who lost their homes are very grateful

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

But he had no problem breaking his vacation plans to attend a fundraiser for Hillary.

"while Bill Clinton celebrated his 70th birthday over the weekend, the Obamas apparently did not pay a visit to the former president.

However, Obama did break from his vacation for the former secretary of state last week, when he attended a fundraiser in Chilmark, Mass. About 60 Obama and Clinton supporters paid between $10,000 and $33,400 to attend that event, the Associated Press reported.

During the fundraiser Obama urged Democrats to campaign aggressively for Clinton, saying, "if we do not do our jobs, then it's still possible for her to lose."

"When I say do our jobs, what I mean is we are going to have to continue to be engaged, we are going to continue to have to write checks, we are going to continue to have to make phone calls and rally people behind her candidacy," Obama said."

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Well you might want to reconsider because Obama WAS one of the people who pounded W.