Why it's time to say goodbye to THE BOX

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Apr 26, 2005.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

A good article in the Advocate today.

THE BOX

2. cajdav1

I also like the write up on the fans

He looks at this from a pretty good perspective. The difference in fans expectations can be overwhelming and effect so much. Back when Skip was building the program, the fans helped to establish the dominance of Alex Box. Hopefully it will get back to that point the rest of the season.

3. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

"Think like a 17-year-old boy. Your grandfather lets you drive his '57 Chevy while he rides shotgun and tells you stories of drive-in movies and baseball by car radio.

Then your cousin picks you up in his fully loaded 2005 Cadillac Escalade, showroom-new Jeep Wrangler or candy-apple red Miata MX-5. Which of the above do you want to borrow to pick up your date?"

The '57 Chevy. Every time. But then that's just me. I have a lot of the romantic in me. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

4. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Take a high school junior into Alex Box Stadium, tell him stories about history and legends and regional magic, and his eyes might glaze over as he wonders where he'll hit when it rains. Take him from the posh locker room onto the field at Baum Stadium while the big-screen video board plays Arkansas highlights, and watch his jaw drop.

Style over substance, man, style over substance.

5. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

We get more recruits with the Intimidator and signage across the dugouts than any big screen tv could muster.

6. cajdav1

I had 3 of them, wish I would have kept one for a Sunday car.

7. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

I love The Box. It's served us well. Not that it matters, but for those who weren't around, if you think it's lacking now, you should have seen it before the Skipper arrived. It's time to move on. When one considers the success of the program over the last 20 years, it seems time to move the facilities toward the top as well.

Interesting note about college ballyards.....Texas, also a baseball program with more than it's share of success, has a horribly boring home field. First base side faces the north wind and Feb-March games are miserable. They've been talking about renovations for years but it never seems to happen. Guess they don't want to give up the astroturf.

8. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Before Skip arrived, BREC had better (or at least comparable) baseball facilities at their various parks than what LSU had with Alex Box. The place was a dump. It's amazing what one man with vision, drive, and a limited budget can accomplish.

9. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Man, are you right. But, there was never a problem parking. :lol:

10. cajdav1

He got me involved and that took a little doing. Being able to see him and Dale Brown build a program was a great experience.