Why LSU deserves #2 more than USC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU, Nov 30, 2003.

1. LSU

LSU Founding Member

LSU is NOT in the same position Tennessee was. If Tennessee had won, they were guaranteed a spot in the national championship game. If LSU wins, LSU is not guaranteed a spot. It is more likely that USC goes UNLESS we can get enough voters to change their minds.

Some will say this is not possible. But I don't care. I believe that when faced with such obvious stats, most of the voters will feel compelled to vote LSU #2. Many of the voters I believe do not realize these stats exist. I know I didn't. Did you realize some of these things were true before you read them? Have they helped persuade you to believe even more that LSU deserves #2?

Is this campaign premature? Absolutely not. If it is to have any influence, it must start before the SECCG is played. If we wait until after the game is played, it will be too late. I know it might seem like we're taking the win in the SECCG for granted. I don't think it will be easy by any means. But if we are to convince voters, we must begin to do so now.

The worst thing that happens is that we do not sway any voters and we waste a few minutes or hours. Big deal. But what if, just what if, some of these stats reach enough voters? What if, just what if, these stats are convincing enough to get the voters to consider voting LSU at #2? And then what if, just what if, LSU beat UGA, and the voters, with these stats in mind, decide to vote for LSU?

It seems like a no-lose situation for the LSU fan. I really think we have an opportunity to sway a few voters. And what if, just what if, that is enough to get LSU in the title game?

2. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

LSU WINS 2003 SECCG!!!!!!!!!!

That is the argument

One more game left guys........

3. TundraTiger

TundraTiger Founding Member

Im in it for this week

I want to go home this winter and see the damn sugar bowl at the dome while im there. I hope every one that reads this thread emails at least three writers.

4. ramah

ramah Founding Member

YOU LEFT OUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ...

BUCKO

LSU was #1 in recruiting this past February and won the MYTHICAL COLLEGE FB RECRUITING CHAMPIONSHIP.

LSU is #1 right now after signing the best LB in America.

I BET YOU ALL DON'T HAVE THE BALLS TO ADD THAT TO YOUR LIST AND SHOVE IT DOWN ESPN'S THROAT UNTIL THEY GAG ON IT.

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE WON IN FEBRUARY ... see conrad's post

5. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

I'm not certain I agree. As a relatively unbiased viewpoint, I must admit that I see LSU as a significantly better team than UGA right now - with the emphasis on "right now".

Lately, Saban has his team nearing it's peak in terms of performance. To quote Mark Richt, LSU is "hitting on all cylinders, like we (UGA) were at this time last season."

The Georgia Dome is a fast track, made for speedsters like Sky, Clayton. My guess is that LSU wins this one by 10 points.

Also, it seems to me that the best appeal that LSU fans have to the poll voters is item #14 in your list. It's the one area that some voters have commented on as being a little unfair.

6. JETigER

JETigER Founding Member

its sour grapes, but at least we finish ahead of USC after the bowls

7. verouchi

verouchi KOC-RPH

I would also like to point out LSU has never lost in the Georgia Dome

8. austintiger54

austintiger54 Freshman

One more very important point in arguing the Tigahs' case: People complain about the bottom 1/3 of our schedule, that we played ULM, W Ill, and Arizona, but none of these talking heads did theior homework. If they had, they'd know that:
    1. When LSU scheduled Arizona, UA was a 10-1 team that looked like it would be a quality non-conference opponent
    2. We only played ULM because Bowling Green (a top 25 team) backed out of a game with us, and
    3. We only played W Ill because Marshall backed out of a game.
    Thus, the whole "LSU has no one to blame but themselves and their lousy schedule" argument is absolute crap.

Another point we have all been neglecting is perhaps the biggest injustice of all: why is USC ranked ahead of us in both voter polls? Because they started off that way. Simply due to higher preseason expectations, USC has been ahead of LSU all year and the voters refuse to reconsider their preconceived notions. It's all a very ridiculous system and no matter what, these Tigers have plenty to hold their heads high about.

9. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

One more time... Bowling Green backing out was last year. The ULM thing was LSU's fault. We had Troy State lined up instead of ULM, but it was a mid-season game. We wanted a tune up game before the Arizona game after what happened last year against VA Tech (because AZ had a tune up game scheduled and we didn't). So we asked Troy State to move the game and they couldn't/wouldn't so WE dropped THEM. LSU gets some of the blame for this. After all of this BCS crap is figured out, it would be nice to go back and re-calculate all this stuff with us substituting Troy State for ULM. If that keeps us out of the Big game...

10. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

At this point in the season (one week left), both SC and LSU deserve to be number 2 and have a chance at Okla. However, if we beat Georgia and SC also wins out, then I really do feel we deserve it more. We have just played too many top 25 teams and SC has not. To me that is the difference between both teams great seasons. And that is something else to keep in mind, neither LSU nor SC are 2nd rate programs. Both teams have proved they belong at the top.

SOS is an important factor, but I don't see how anyone can look at both schedules and say either one had the harder schedule and then rank one team over the other. Honestly, can anyone really say either team had a harder schedule while saying the other played a bunch of cup cakes. We had an easy OOC, which SC did as well (neither team could help that). We had the harder conference schedule, no doubt about it, but SC's is right behind us.

Now, SC was ranked higher at the end of last season, at pre-season, and all throughout this season. To me, that should be worth something, this is college football. If we were in that position, I would be using it here to say we deserve it more. What I don't understand is why haven't the voters tied SC and LSU together at #2. They do it when ranking other spots in the top 25. If LSU can't pass SC with the same amount of losses, and LSU can't pass SC by playing more top 25 teams, then atleast rank them together at #2. That way you are telling the nation, these two teams are too hard to seperate, please use the BCS to decide which is more deserving. But, instead they keep one ranked over the other giving that team an advantage over the other one in the BCS. Here is where I blame ESPN. All season they have bashed LSU, and praised SC. That alone makes some voters/fans rethink who should be #2.

The biggest problem I am having with all of this is ESPN and the national influence they hold. For some reason, they believe LSU is not worthy to play in the Sugar this year. To them, if LSU jumps SC, then it will be the greatest injustice to college football since a better NEB team jumped Oregon to play Miami for the NC. Even worse, ESPN is one of the biggest shills for a playoff format. Yet, they honestly feel that an LSU win over the #5 team in the country does not make them worthy enough to pass a one loss USC team (coming off a victory against Ore St). Does anyone else see that as unfair? Or atleast strange? For some unknown reason, USC beating Ore St is considered more impressive than #3 beating #5 this late in the season.

Each team can give 100's of reasons why they deserve it more. Right now I say they are equal, but after this weekend and both win out, I honestly feel LSU earned it. Nothing against SC, but they just haven't played any top teams this year, certainly none as high as 5.