Why LSU deserves #2 more than USC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU, Nov 30, 2003.

1. rickyd

rickyd Founding Member

Does anyone know if there is more value to a first place vote in the polls as opposed to a #2 vote? If so does this mean we would have to change fewer minds?

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Nope, 1st place gets 25 points, 2nd gets 24, etc, etc....

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Florida beat us on the field fair and this will probably sound a bit like we're whining if we bring it up, but.......

There were three fumbles that Saban said later were ruled against LSU, one that would've been returned for a TD I believe. I know we sent a tape to the SEC office but I'm not sure what their response was. Also, what was the breakdown of our penalties in that game. False start type penalties vs. "judgement calls" like holding, clips, etc. It seemed like every time we had a big momentum play it was wiped out by a penalty.

Does bringing this up make us look more like brats?

4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I don't know about looking like "brats", but you take the bad with the good. These things happen to some extent in college football, and sometimes worse than others (Aka, the Florida/Florida St. game)... But, We shouldn't argue about it. I think we look like more of a class act to go on about our business, and not worry about what coulda or shoulda been...

It's like Ga. saying "Well, if we had made them 3 field goals...", or us saying "If we hadn't lost to Florida, we'd be 2nd in front of USC."....

"If" doesn't make a damn bit of difference, and it never will. As always, the team that played better ball on that particular day, won. I don't like it any better than anyone else does, I was there, and I was PISSED... But, Such is life...

5. tpb

tpb Founding Member

Growing support....

I sense a growing swell of support for LSU as the week progresses. Am not sure if it's enough to overtake USC in the two major polls, but things may get a lot closer if the Tigers take care of business on Saturday.

In the http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball poll it shows that with 25,000 people voting LSU has 50%, USC 35%, and Michigan 15%. I find this interesting considering the large no. of voters, which has to be more than a bunch of LSU fans.

If the LSU/Ga. game is a slugfest with quality play on both sides then it should definitely impact voters, especially if, by contrast, Oregon St. doesn't put up a good fight and USC finds more open space during the game than the state of Nevada.

6. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

It seems it's been that way all week in every poll I've seen between LSU and USC. LSU consistantly has more votes than USC. Seems the general population now believes that we should be No. 2.

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Has anyone compiled a breakdown of what it would look like right now (before the SEC Championship) if we were ranked #2 in the AP & Coaches and USC was #3? Or what about if we were #2 in one and #3 in the other? I know the BCS points would favor us under these scenarios if we beat Georgie but what about right now?

8. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

If we were ahead of them in both, we'd be ahead of USC, if we were ahead in only one, we'd be behind right now.

9. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Oklahoma will not win the NC against a vicious Defense with a good offense .... LSU's offense is hot and getting better ... and LSU's Defense is better than Oklahoma's ... Kansas State will show the NATION that Jason White cannot handle fast blitzing defenses and that Oklahoma is very beatable.

How sad that "hype" and public opinion has resulted in a Sugar Bowl "annointment & appointment" for a 1-loss Oklahoma.

I hate media darlings ... looking forward to Oklahoma's deflowering

10. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

Wasn't Miami a huge favorite last year? Everyone saw what happened to them. No one knows what's actually gonna happen until it does.
    I agree that all the hype surrounding OK has built them into something that they definitely aren't. I've heard people discussing if OK is the best team EVER. Its gotten out of control and I'd love a chance to play 'em.