Why no Chris Garrett info coming out of spring scrimmages?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerCliff, Mar 23, 2010.

1. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

This from Dandy this morning and I have the same question.

Why? nothing - not a thing - not a word???

In the last few days I have received a large number of emails asking why Chris Garrett's name has not appeared on the stat sheets from the team's last two scrimmages. Garrett has had a solid Spring based on information I have received and, to the best of my knowledge, is in good health. It does not make any sense to me that Garrett's name has not been mentioned because Les Miles said before the start of Spring practice that Garrett would be competing for playing time. I hope that Miles has a good reason for not giving out any information on Garrett.

:tigereye:

2. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

According to several sources, Garrett has not been given many reps this Spring. One would think with LSU's QB situation being the way it is that he would have been given more reps and a better look but not from what I'm hearing. Very frustrating to say the least.

It's Miles' butt on the line so I hope he's confident.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Come on Cliff, you know better than that. If you thought for 1 second Garrett stood a chance of competing for a job, you haven't paid any attention to this coaching staff for the last 5 years. There has been quarterback controversy in Baton Rouge since Miles got here, and hell, for maybe the last 2 decades. Jordan Jefferson will be the starter, and he won't have any competition for his job, and he will lollygag into the season, with no one snipping at his heels, and its going to hurt this team, mark it down. Jordan is on his way to reminding me of Aaron Brooks, and not the one that sinks his shots in Houston, you know the one.

As it stands right now, if they did compete for the job JJ would probably still be the one that comes out on top, just because of experience, but to not let the kids compete in my opinion is a huge mistake, and it will get Jordan complacent.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

We must be reading different things, because it looks like Lee IS snipping at Jefferson's heels in practice, and has a comparable level of experience, meaning he absolutely could take that job away from JJ if he continues to improve.

And as much as I understand and share your frustrations with this staff, let's be honest. After seeing the results of starting 2 (basically) freshman QBs get their lumps for 2 consecutive years, there is no coaching staff in this country that was going to give yet another freshman with zero PT a realistic chance to start for year #3, not unless the kid looked like Peyton, Joe Montana and Brett Favre all rolled into one.

1 person likes this.
  5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Some people look for trouble under every rock.

6. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

As evidence, here is a Chris Low report: Checking in on LSU's spring camp - SEC Blog - ESPN

7. LaSalleAve

You are right, i never expected Garrett to come out and be the starter, but all the stuff i read, Jefferson is pretty comfortable, and knows the job is his. And it probably should be, i guess what i was alluding to was the fact that even if Lee or Garrett was the better man for the job and could do a better job, it wouldn't matter.

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Lee brings a different skill set to the table than Jefferson does, which would make him a big asset if Miles plans to step up the quality of the pocket passing game. The big knock on Lee is his whether his head is really in the game when he comes in. Our last look at PT for Lee was LaTech, which was an absolute offensive disaster and would be hard for any coach to ignore in spite of anything he does in practice now. However, if he comes in and looks good in mop-up duty and JJ doesn't improve significantly from last year, he could very well get another shot.

9. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

This.. I can't find the link but I read somewhere that Miles said this same basic thing. He said he doesn't want a third year of having an inexperienced QB out there. JJ has more experience than JL or CG so that's probably where we're at. Hopefully he'll come around this year and realize what to do with his experience.

10. LaSalleAve

i guess with the limitations on how many hours you can practice might factor into why Garrett isn't seeing much practice time also.