Why no Coaches' help for our QB's during the game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robinsonwrr, Sep 28, 2010.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I can calmly talk politics to my 2 year old, but just because I'm using a steady voice and a calm hand, it doesn't mean she'll quite understand...

After 3+ years in the program, it's obviously JJ will NEVER "get it". You scale back your playbook for FRESHMEN!!!! NOT JUNIORS!!!!!

2. Jester

Jester Founding Member

Actually, surprisingly, it is you that is wrong again. Those are his stats from the last 2 games..........48% 3 ints 0 tds.

Inexplicably? LOL...Yeah, how inexplicable of the OC to call in a game 3 pass plays that the offense has practiced time and time again and our QB has spent three years learning. Wow, the QB's at other colleges must really respond well to some inexplicable events. Dayum, I sure wish I coulda seen the look on Jefferson's face when that practical joker Crowton called in those plays that JJ had never heard of before. Bet that was priceless.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Mental agility does seem to be the issue here.

He's fairly solid and not injury prone, he slides to protect himself. He's cautious. He stays out of trouble.

He has size and athleticism, he could add 30 pounds and be a fine tight end.

1 person likes this.
  4. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

:rofl:You owe me a 21" monitor. :rofl:

Thank God it's just water and not the snakebites (Thanks Chimes!) I will be consuming in large quantities tomorrow.

5. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

the problem with your idea is you seem to take it for granted we have coaches. We dont, we have talent and cheerleaders. We coach on defense thats it.

and Les gleefully watches with his "dahm strong" football team that is going to "play their asses off" after the half.

Miles is clueless and Crowton is playing games with fire.

Crowton is like a kid at Christmas with a new chemistry set, he loves Chemistry but it baffles him how it works, so he just starts mixing stuff together. He studied the periodic table in 5th grade so how hard can it be???
    He might blow something up or make some pretty smoke, but something is sure to happen. :shock:

6. russnrvr

russnrvr Founding Member

JJ has never readily admitted that anything was his fault. It is always the receivers or he is just a college player or I just need to work on a couple of bad throws. Ummmm.... 18 starts later... Several of the pro scouts have said that his biggest problem is not being benched for bad decision-making and bad play. Every other position gets benched for anything. I would wonder why my other skill position players may not exactly be happy with his attitude. Don't tell me to catch a ball on one play when you screw up throws and don't have any consequences.

1 person likes this.
  7. BostonBengal

You couldn't be any more wrong. It's worked everywhere Crowton has brought it. It worked here his first 2 seasons (we put up solid numbers on offense with Matt Flynn running it).

Your comments are short-sighted by anger/frustration.

In his first year with Oregon in 2005, Crowton produced an offense that tallied the second-highest totals in school history in passing yards (304.5 per game) and points (34.5 per game). The Ducks ranked No. 8 in the nation in passing, No. 12 in scoring and No. 18 in total offense on their way to posting a 10-2 overall mark and reaching the Holiday Bowl.

Crowton joined the Oregon staff after a four-year stint as head coach at Brigham Young from 2001-2004. During his four seasons at his alma mater, Crowton guided the Cougars to a 26-23 record to run his head coaching career mark to 47-36 in seven years. Crowton's best year with BYU came in 2001 when he led the Cougars to a 12-2 overall mark, capped with an appearance in the Liberty Bowl. Crowton's BYU offense scored 40 or more points 10 times that year, including 70 points in a win over Tulane and 44 in a victory over California.

BYU led the nation in total offense (542.9 per game) and scoring (46.8 per game) in 2001 as the Cougars captured the Mountain West Conference title. Crowton was named the MWC Coach of the Year for his efforts in his first season at BYU.

So please, give me another excuse you negative Nancy. :rolleye33:

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

No, he's completely correct. It seems Crowton's offense works for one or two years then kaputz. You used BYU as one of your examples (and his 1st year there) so I had to wonder if you realized their records with him as OC:

2001 Brigham Young 12-2
    2002 Brigham Young 5-7
    2003 Brigham Young 4-8
    2004 Brigham Young 5-6

See some parallels?

Try Oregon:
    2005: Oregon went 10-2. (34.5/game).
    2006: Oregon went 7-6, losing their last 4. (29.5/game).

9. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

And here's what happened after Crowton left...

2005 Brigham Young 6-6
    2006 Brigham Young 11-2
    2007 Brigham Young 11-2
    2008 Brigham Young 10-3
    2009 Brigham Young 11-2

2007 Oregon 9-4
    2008 Oregon 10-3
    2009 Oregon 10-3

10. BostonBengal

All your W-L records show (especially at BYU) is that he's not a good head coach and not that good a recruiter. It's not exaclty a reflection on his offenses' ability to put up decent yards/points.

As for Oregon... LOL! Your example is an average of 5 points difference over a 4 week losing streak??? 5 points sounds like a lot, sure, but when you're looking at 35 points vs 30??! LOL! Nice try. Got news for you, if you put up 30 points and LOSE, it's NOT your offense.

Even you couldn't spin that one in negative light. If an offense puts up 30 points/gm, you shouldn't be losing.