Why no multi-packs of 24 oz.?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by NoLimitMD, Oct 15, 2006.

1. KajunKenny

KajunKenny Founding Member

Re: Why no multi-packs of 24 packs?

I don't remember what state I was in but they did sale 24 and 12 packs of 24 ouncers. I think the reason being is because that state/county whatever can't sale beer individually. So it has to be either in a box or in the little plastic thingies. Thought it was pretty cool! Also you had to go to a special beer store to get beer. Couldn't buy it at a 7-11 or grocery store.

2. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

Re: Why no multi-packs of 24 ounces?

I used to work at a grocery store and had to fill beer every tuesday and thursday. we got those cases of 24oz'ers but they dont have a bar code on the box.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Naaa, a tall boy is a 24 oz can of beer, not to be confused with a pounder (16oz can of beer) or a double deuce (22oz bottle of beer).

For some reason, we have always called a 10-oz beer a high-tech, not to be confused with a 7-oz bottle, which is a pony.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I've always called a 16oz a tall boy. And I also frequently buy the flat of natty's that tigerkid mentioned. Doesn't get any better for broke college students.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I agree with the 22 oz, although I always called it a deuce deuce and the ponies are definitely the same too. Never heard of a pounder, but how about an oil can (32 oz). Ever hear that term?

6. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Did not know the term, but I know the can.:thumb:

7. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

This all goes back a couple of decades ago. Once a 6-pack meant 12 oz cans. But then the concerned La. legislature was getting heat from MADD or someone, and the Legislature, in their great wisdom, decided it was up to them to do something about the growing number of people driving while drunk. The studied and studied and came up with a foolproof plan. They had concluded that alot of people pick up a 6-pack (which were 12 oz cans at the time) at a convennience store and leave, no doubt to drink them all on the way home and kill somebody. So obvious was this to our astute legislature that their remarkable plan seemed obvious. If they could just get rid of 12 oz cans then there would be no way for people to drink them on the way home. So they passed a law banning 12 oz cans to be sold in convennience stores. WOW. Brilliant. They patted themselves on the back for another problem solved.

And that's why the stores now carry 6-packs of mini 10 oz cans and singles of larger cans. Because everybody knows that you can't get drunk from those.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Actually you can get 12-oz 6-packs, but rarely where 12-packs are served. I heard the 10-oz cans came about because the local beers (Jax, Falstaff, Dixie, Pearl, etc) sold 12-oz 6-packs cheaper than the national brands (Bud, Miller, etc) so they made a cheaper 6-pack to compete. You never see 10-oz cans from the local beers.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I thought the 10oz were designed because the last oz or so of a 12oz is usually hot & tastes like spit...

Quick question - do any of you old folks ever play drinking games?

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

That's what I thought the ponies were for. And NO beer seems colder than a pony that's been in an ice chest for a couple hours.

Nah, older folks don't need incentives to get hammered. In fact, if given the green light (from either the wife or work considerations), a game would only prolong the process.

NOTE: This is why TigerForums is great. I ask a relatively benign beer question, and the knowledge just flows in from all parts. If I may be self-congratulatory, we're a wonderful breed.