why not russell sherpard?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by white river, Oct 5, 2010.

1. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Not to say I think RS is a viable option, but just to defend the OP's question, really QB or not could he be any worse than JJ?

2. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Guest

Because it would reduce the # of touches he gets in a game. That cannot be allowed to happen.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He climbed Mt. Everest with Sir Edmund Hillary.

4. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

That is faith i can believe in

5. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

The man asked y'all not to bash him and you do it anyway. :dis:

Your question is a valid one. I think the fellas just overreacted b/c it's been addressed quite a bit on this board.

RS was the #1 recruit in the country (depending on which service you go by) and he happened to play the QB position. This fact can't be denied. Saying that putting RS at QB would be like putting Ridley at QB is a bit of a stretch.

I know that many players were QB's in high school b/c they were the best players on their respective teams (Ware, RR, etc), but RS was the best player in the country while playing the QB position (not just the best player on his team).....so it's different.

I trust the coaching staff knows what they're doing by not making RS a QB. Trust me.....if they could wave the magic Russel Shepard wand to make the offensive woes go away they would. They see RS everyday and they have made the decision that RS shouldn't even be in the conversation. While I think Crowton and Miles are intellectually challenged, I actually trust their judgement on this.

Plainly put, he's just not an SEC QB.

6. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

You are always so tuff on me … I am beginning to think you don’t bro-love me anymore.

1 person likes this.
  7. Cajun Sensation

It's tough love, Bud Lee. Like the bigger brother being tough on the little brother.

I love you.

.....your mustache still creeps me the eff out, though.

8. west_tex_tiger

west_tex_tiger Founding Member

My preference would be to start Lee, and have a package for Sheppard as a Wildcat QB. I'm sure RS can run the option plays a thousand times better than Jefferson, so why not let him do it. As an every down QB, Lee gives us the best chance to take advantage of the talent we have a WR. If you watch Alabama play, this is the approach they use with McElroy occasionally splitting out at WR and letting Ingram play the QB position. I think it's worth trying. You'd have to design a couple of plays where Sheppard throws off the option, but he's a HS QB, so I'm sure he's capable of handling that. This strategy would increase Sheppard's touches and decrease JJ's touches, which could only help us.

9. Cajun Sensation

I agree with this.

10. mach316

mach316 Founding Member

I don't see anything wrong suggesting Shep getting a play or two from behind center. Hell, for that matter, put T Bob back there. He's the only one with his head screwed on straight.