Why should there be a rematch?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Humdinger, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Humdinger

Humdinger Founding Member

I don't see any reason for LSU having to play a rematch with Alabama in the BCSCG. We played them at their place and we won. Game over. Tide, you get your chance to play us next year. What do we have to gain in a rematch? We were number one, we beat them, and we're number one. In football, the rematch gains nothing for us. I'd rather see us play Stanford, Okie State, or even Boise State, and dominate them the way we did agains Oregon, WVU, and all the other out of conference high scoring, no defense teams. Alabama would obviously like a chance to play us again and would have more motivation to win.

Let me give you a history lesson under similar circumstances. In the pre BCS days, the bowl games determined the national champion. In 1959, number one LSU defeated number two Ole Miss in the famous Halloween night game featuring Billy Cannon's legendary punt return. Just like Saturday's game against Alabama, it was a titanic defensive struggle between two outstanding defensive powerhouses. LSU won 7-3. In the Sugar Bowl following that season a rematch was played. Ole Miss clobbered LSU 21-0 in a game that was not as close as the score indicates. We played Alabama at their place and we won a tight, hard fought game. A rematch gives Alabama the psychological edge. They are in the rear view mirror to our dream season. Bring on a non conference opponent that doesn't have the revenge factor going for them.

:LSU231: :crystal:

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It's gonna happen. It's about money.

3. Humdinger

Humdinger Founding Member

The BCSCG game is a sellout and the national audience will be the same regardless of who plays. Other than Tide fans wanting a second chance, I don't think the nation as a whole is clamoring for a rematch given the low scoring game it was. Also, I think nationally people are tired of SEC dominance and wouldn't want a regional SEC team matchup. We know that the SEC is dominant, but our dominance irritates the Big Ten, Big Twelve, Pac10 types.

4. msully

msully Founding Member

It ain't gonna happen

AMAZING .Thoughts from a liberal mind , just rambling on still, in a daze .

1st what would make the college sports world happy is for no SEC team in the Championship game . Right? Right. They have a plan in place now . Auburn will be the key too their game plan . Auburn beats LSU and there will be no SEC team in the Championship Game this season .
    2nd Bama will lose one more game , they will be wanting too tear down that pile of concrete that looks like Saban ,
    I think Boise State will get what they are wanting . LSU . Some still think Ohio State should have beaten the Tigers , . A few think in a rematch WV , would beat LSU , and a Duck fan a friend of mine says .
    "The Ducks were not ready to play that game , they were not up for it , "
    And he is right , the Ducks are not ready for Big Time Football like what is played in the SEC !!

There will not be a rematch this season , but oh my , look out in Baton Rouge nest season , now there is your rematch ! Look for both teams too be undefeated again ,
    Geaux Tigers ,
    Oh yes , it is time for a CHANGE in Washington D.C. ,

5. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

I still say that if OU wins out, they will be chosen the #2 team.

I don't think people want to see a rematch of LSU/Bama .. I also don't think the Pollsters want to see a rematch. I think they will put OU in before they will put Bama in.

Of course, there's still Stanford hanging out there. If they go undefeated with the addition of the Pac12 CG ... they will get the call.

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

There is no advantage for LSU. In fact it would be a disadvantage. Two teams THAT close, for one to beat the other TWICE would be a feat. You sound scared, as you should.

Someone is going to post the SECCG rematches and the results to say nay (Nootch used to love that) but in this case the two teams are very evenly matched.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Fixed your first sentence. Your case was made on the second. We passed the test; we beat Bama on the road. Unless Stanford, OSU and Boise all lose, there is no justification for Bama getting the BCS nod over one of them. And even if they all (along with Oklahoma and Clemson) end up with one loss, I don't see the case for them getting a second shot at us on a neutral field after they already lost to us at home.

1 person likes this.
  8. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yep, exactly right, and SECCGs, as you point out, do not apply here.

9. SwampPerson

SwampPerson Veteran Member

It might happen but I do not think it should. Without a playoff system, the regular season becomes the playoff. If a team doesn't win their conference (or in this case not even their division), they should not have a path to a national championship.

1 person likes this.
  10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Unless they're the 2nd best team in the country. If the system we're in says they are then we should follow our coach's lead and relish the chance to play for victory...again.