Why such poor attendance at the spring game..

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by burnt norton, Apr 28, 2006.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

No beating needed, man. The simple fact of the matter is that this is basically a practice that's open to the public, for a fee. I've been to the SG two out of the last three years (actually I would have went this season, but of course I rathered watch the LSU-Duke game like many other fans,) and let me tell you... they're not too exciting. Maybe the point is that LSU football, in any aspect, should be exciting... maybe, I don't know. I just don't see the plus-side of getting 3rd degree sunburn while watching the team go through structured "practices." You don't "see enough" to justify the hassle of driving-in from out of town, paying for gas, eating, partying, etc. A glorified practice is all it is...

I think that LSU could make more of an event out of it, i.e. tailgating, cookoffs, pep-rallies, music, a game-day type atmosphere with the band and cheerleaders and use it as a "tune-up" for Saturdays in the fall--as if we need a "tune-up" game, but I digress...

2. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I can imagine why a Spring game would not be of interest to any SEC program.

It is not like you're in Big Ten country and the weather is still cold and miserable.

Georgia charges $5 and it all goes to charity. Meanwhile, it gives the local Athens economy and, especially the restaurants, an added boost.

SOS chewed out the South Carolina fans for not showing up in large numbers. He claims that it sends a clear message to the players that they either are or aren't in a top tier program.

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I agree with you.