why's this board so busy on Mardi Gras?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by glenlivet12, Feb 12, 2002.

1. glenlivet12

glenlivet12 Founding Member

Don't you people understand your heritage at all? Get out there and live for the rest of us!

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Actually, I think you were the first post of the day. I've been checking every couple of hours and I think EVERYONE is living it up over there in Cajun country. I'm stuck in Texas and working for the first Fat Tuesday of my life. It's a little hard to get things done when half your mind is on huge beers, king cakes, "throw me something mister" and other assorted past Mardi Gras experiences. It's usually a good time of year down here as far as weather goes and it looks like another season lived up to its billing.

3. NMTiger

NMTiger Founding Member

Glen,
    You would be surprised at how many locals don't go to Mardi Gras. Once I got out of the "party" years I would only go to a few parades each season and wouldn't ever go to New Orleans on Fat Tuesday. It's just too crowded and crazy down there. However, I always did enjoy having the day off. I must be getting old or something!

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Check out the locations of our respective posters here on this thread. I think that explains it.

It seems all of us have been ripped from the mothering bossom of our great home state and transplanted to a place where people eat crawfish at the rate of 1 every 2 minutes (They have to clean all the icky stuff off)

Good for me though.

When I asked my company if we have mardi gras off they looked at me like I was a crack addict...

Geaux Tigers.

5. VCFootball.com

VCFootball.com Freshman

maybe one day I will be able to get down there for a visit and to experience all of this "mardi gras" excitement.

:D

6. NMTiger

NMTiger Founding Member

Mardi Gras is definitely worht doing at least once in your life. I kind of agree with Texas in that it also makes me a little homesick to think of Mardi Gras. I guess it's just one of those things that makes home different.

7. glenlivet12

glenlivet12 Founding Member

Actually I was just kidding!

Glad to see a few other not able to go or not interested. Mardi Gras is great if you go with locals and stay in the Garden District and places like that where the party is still more traditional and not just the tourist-trap of the Quarter. Aww, I can just taste the crawfish and beer now... :(

8. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I dont go to New Orleans anymore. We attend some in Baton Rouge and go to Earnst Cafe in the Garden District. But the last couple of years I went we went to the boat parade on the Tickfaw.

To be very honest. Mardi Gras has just turned into a bunch of Drunk Yankees treating our State and Cities like a big toilet.

I dont go anywhere NEAR bourbon unless I know someone with a balcony then I can fish for Flesh with the good beads ;)

But it is worth a go once if you are not from Home...

Geaux Tigers.

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Mardi Gras is much more than N.O. Every little town does something unique, especially Butte La Rose (don't they chase chickens?) Lafayette and Houma have enough activities where you can choose to do family stuff or get a little crazy, although not nearly like the Big Easy. The most important aspect to feel good about is having the day off (and not feeling guilty if you eat and drink more than you should.)

10. puttytat

puttytat Founding Member

Don't forget..........

Metairie, Kenner, and uptown have a lot of parades that go on throughout the week leading up to Fat Tuesday. Metairie and Kenner parades are a lot more family oriented, but get a little wilder each day up til Fat Tuesday. I went to a lot of them throughout the week and DID enjoy my day off today:D