wiki leaks

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 2, 2010.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

And that's the reason Ron Paul will never be president. He's right that we can't prosecute Assange for treason but essentially saying that our government should not be able to have classified documents that he keeps from the public is idiotic. If he got rid of a few of these stances, he may have a wider appeal.

As far as that little fudge packing Lady GaGa fan is concerned, he should be tried for treason.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

well, i rarely believe i know all about anything (it is a big government), so if you are sure about it then i'll believe you (or dig into it if im so inclined.) but the most sensitive classified info is in a scif. and recordable media isnt allowed in or out of a scif. all the info is prioritized and they seem to do a good job protecting the important stuff. but in the end, humans have to be trusted.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't believe I know all about everything either, but I do know what I'm writing about.

In our intelligence agencies, absolutely. Sensitive compartmented information facilities are standard in intelligence databases. Classified intelligence data is guarded very carefully. But what has been leaked so far by Wikileaks is sensitive diplomatic cables and military documents in a war zone. Thousands of soldiers and diplomatic personnel have access to these records, especially the ones who created them.

Clearly document security must be tightened for lower-level sensitive communications and measure are being taken right now. The Einstein 2 intrusion detection system is being used by several dozen federal agencies and is quickly being implemented in about 650 more.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

thumb drives are permitted in secure facilities (at least some) that are not scifs. and sci can include material from any classification not just top secret. so i think the issue is one of improper classification and just the cost of doing business.

5. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

I had a money and banking class in high school. One day we had a guest speaker that talked about ways to protect yourself from identity theft. He had a powerpoint with a website that had a list, and it was quite long, of companies, universities, doctors, etc, that had at one time, lost records. Whether it was student ID numbers, SS numbers, patient files, whatever, there was a list of what was lost, and for how many people it affected. Sometimes it was a few hundred, sometimes it was 500,000.

What's it have to do with this? Nothing really, except for the fact that the US should have been prepared for this. As noted above, documents, records, numbers, personal information, it was lost or compromised without any intent to use it to harm the people. They still had to notify them to make sure that nothing happened, and I would bet nothing ever came from most or all of those errors.

However, I think it would be foolish to think that US classified documents are never going to be lost, misplaced, or compromised the same way the above files were. This time it was people that did take the files.

But how do we know that next time there won't be similar errors that release such information? How do we know that didn't already happen? How do we know that a few army personnel are responsible for thousands and thousands of files?

My point: The US should have been ready for the worst case scenario.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

let's see....

it's ok to post stolen sensitive government documents on the internet, endangering lives and giving away intelligence secrets. but its not ok for private businesses to choose how they run their business.

christ, the people who back assange are phucking hypocritical idiots!

Activists target payment site, deny plotting harm - Yahoo! News

7. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

8. OkieTigerTK

you missed the hypocritical part.

i do not agree that publishing stolen intelligence from our govt is "freedom of the press". but putting that aside, for them to say they have the right to publish these things but that a private business is bad and should be punished (by them) for refusing to do business with wiki leaks for disagreeing with them is hypocritical.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

the kid that wrote that is an idiot.

"I followed and believed in our government to always do the right thing. I never once questioned the integrity of those that governed."

thats because you are an idiot.

"I wish my father had explained the hardships of all of it, especially war."

who would ever guessed that war is terrible.

10. OkieTigerTK

im not a dubya fan, but good for george!

Bush nixes Denver visit, citing invite to Assange - Yahoo! News