Wildly funny story from the Sugar Bowl (In my opinion anyway)....

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerEducated, Jan 19, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'll show you my Viet Nam Service Medal if you'll show me yours tough guy.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Now I get it. You are teaching "us people" how to develope a sense of humor by deliberately making yourself the butt of our jokes. Do you have the balls to call me a no testicle, gutless wonder yellowbellied pansy to my face? If so I'll tell you where I'll be. Whenever you've got the balls I've got the time. I'll make it easy for you. I'll be at Georges Southside at 6 PM. I'll be sitting at the bar wearing a purple LSU T Shirt. If you treat me with respect I'll treat you with respect. You WILL treat me with respect.

THE BALL IS IN YOUR COURT!

3. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Okay, after what happened at the Championship Celebration, I have had enough. I assumed Blanco was booed because some people assume (without any proof) that her connections to UL-Lafayette somehow make her anti-LSU. But that is not the case with Lt. Governor Mitch Landrieu. The guy is an LSU graduate for the love of God. It was completely uncalled for and was the only bad thing about an otherwise great event.

Now it could be because of their political persuasions and affiliations, but honestly, if LSU fans (and there are legions) were so overwhelming Republican and conservative, Democrats like Landrieu and Blanco wouldn't stand a chance of getting elected in this state. Unless there aren't near as many LSU fans in this state as we like to think. So I don't think that's it. There are lots of LSU fans who are Democrats. I know, because I go to school with them everyday.

I have another explanation. I think people in this state have become VERY cynical about politicians and politics in general. And understandably so. Despite modest improvements, we are still a very corrupt state where you have to be plugged in to the "Good Ole' Boy Network" to get anything done, and it has to be done "The Lousiana Way" (ie., somebody's palm has to get greased), and where it's more important who you know than what you know. We are, as C.B. Forgotston always points out, last in everything good and first in everything bad. Many in this state who want the radical change necessary to make us better see Blanco and Landrieu as standing for and part and parcel of the "Old Guard" and the old way of doing things in Louisiana, more than likely because of their political lineage.

I, for one, do not make those assumptions. I'm willing to give them a chance and maybe, just maybe, they might surprise the naysayers. I am already encouraged by Blanco's promise of phasing out temporary taxes on business. So I choose to look at the positives. Same for Landrieu, who ran his own campaign for Lt. Governor that impressed me enough to vote for him (yes, that's right. I, Jetstorm, the RED MEAT REPUBLICAN GUN TOTIN' BUBBA, voted for Landrieu! You wanna fight about it?)

That's why I'm gonna say what I'm about to say; STOP IT! The boobirds are bush league embarassments to LSU, plain and simple. Governor Blanco and Lt. Governor Landrieu have done nothing to deserve the hostile receptions they have gotten at our events. Whether you voted for them or not, whether you like them or not, they are our leaders. Show them due respect.

5. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

After talking to my mom who was there at least some of the people (around her) were mad, because now that she is Governor she did not show for this event. I am sure most boos were just at her in general, but I do think the Governor should show up to either the city event for both schools or to each school's campus event after having two state schools in the capital of the state win their respective National Championship. Hopefully she had something important to do.

6. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

This was from the 2advocate.com site saying the boos started when he said Blanco could not be there.

7. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I was there and the boos started the minute his name was called. That's what it sounded like to me anyway.

8. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I did hear some boos when he was announced, mixed with some cheers. It was when he said that Blanco wouldn't appear that the boos became really overwhelming. I didn't hear any cheers. It was a VERY bad political move for Blanco to not be there.

9. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Nick Saban is a Democrat. One of his best friends is Jesse Jackson, Sr.
    I wouldn't boo Bianco or Landrieu. I wouldn't cheer them either.
    I wouldn't come to a LSU sporting related even expecting or wanting to see a politician of either party. That's not why I'd go.
    I don't consider Landrieu or Bianco to be a great friend of LSU mens athletics. Not a reason to boo them though. But I wouldn't cheer either.