Will 7-5 or 8-4 have Miles run out of town?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Jun 15, 2006.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah just think almost our best year in over a half century and we'd have the nerve to run him off.

wait, that was you idiots and cutcliffe.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

All I know is what the voices tell me, . . . but if Les wins the BCS game, goes undefeated, but doesn't make it to the College World Series, the fans will be disgruntled.

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Honestly I think the only things that will put Miles on the level of Saban will be consistently playing competitive ball against the top tier teams. Saban wasn't flawless, but he made our team a nationally recognized power throughout his tenure. Only time will tell us the truth about Miles. One season can only tell you so much.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Maybe people should take that attitude towards Saban...

5. tirk

your blindness of what saban accomplished is laughable. to even try and compare he and les based on records is foolish if you have any scope of the program at the time he took over, which obviously you must.

the more you repeat saban wasn't a great coach truly shows a lack of insight or just complete blindness.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'm not degrading what Saban did, just trying to put it in perspective. The improvements he made to our program were very, very impressive. However, we didn't compete for NC's every season the way some people seem to remember it.

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Yep, Les has a little roadwork to do before he gets respect.

There's one thing Saban had that Les lacks.... "aura".
    I don't know if it was Saban's looks the girls liked, his bloodline, his personality, his swagger.... but he sure had an aura about him.
    Just think, the guy spends some time in the pros, spends some very average time at Michigan State.... but gets labeled as some kind of football savior... how does that happen?
    Ferentz had pretty much the same background as Saban, without the bloodline, a little lighter on the looks, and he had to damn near sneak into Iowa. Saban, on the other hand, rides into LSU as if he'd been some kind of miracle worker for the Spartans.
    .... and his aura got into the LSU fans and the LSU recruits. Him having aura made them feel like they had it, too. It felt good.
    For all we know, Miles is and has been a better coach all along. He certainly has more college experience than Saban and has worked with more kids.
    But he lacks aura... and some people will always find fault with that. So, Miles will have to earn his way... unfair, I know.:shock: :shock:

8. tirk

the aura is enhanced when he took a team with 8 of 10 losing seasons into a national champion. something les or kirk have not done. Les took over a cadillac while kirk took over a yugo, so he still has the chance. however, his 5 year windows closed long ago.

kirk has the football eye to see talent and coach it up much the same way nick did but as you mentioned, this aura thing you cant really teach. Skip had it and the players felt it and believed theyd win regardless of circumstances. Something you cant buy or teach but when you're around it its tangible. too bad I cant bottle it. plus, i think skip ran out of his allotment. that is, if they have a finite amount of this crap or what.

9. MemphisLSUTiger

MemphisLSUTiger Founding Member

Funny, he helped the team weather a pretty big storm last season, yet most jackasses on this board still refuse to give him an ounce of credit for it.

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

It's called being a massive prick. Saban commanded respect, and made you feel like he would kill you if you didn't give it to him. Miles is much more easy-going, and appears to be more of a nice fella. That's why people have such a problem with him. If Saban, or another fiery coach with a similar persona, had the exact same year as did Miles, not one person would be complaining. It's just the 'but he's not Saban' syndrome.