Will Coach Miles be at LSU longer than Sabama at Bama?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerCliff, Nov 12, 2009.

1. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

I think that gets back on Sabama and how he left LSU!

OK state vs LSU

At that time of year what could he have done?

What could LSU do???

I think we can all watch Michigan have understand that if it fall apart up there LES is going to be the #1 guy on a very short list!!!

2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Don't know all of the circumtances behind the Okie St exit, but if the fans and media were as critical there as they are here, we may see the same exit here. I think that Miles and his family are very happy in BR, and I think that Miles knows he has a good thing, that he is the coach of one of the best teams in the country, that to leave may only be a step backwards, but depending on the motivation at the time none of that may matter.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

it really doesnt matter how/what, i am convinced there is no good way to handle it. fans are gonna feel jilted no matter what. about the only way to leave a school without pissing people off is to retire.

4. col reb

col reb Founding Member

I loved my first wife. But when she screwed me (and a bunch of others :lol:) , I found the love of my life. Been there darn nearly 40 years now. And neither one of us makes that kind of money. No amount of money could talk me into going back there.:lol:

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

There is no mistake he left OSU for a better job. That isn't even in question. Its how he did it. I sat on a plane from Dallas to Houston with one of his asst. coaches while he was at OSU and I have talked to one of the local radio personalities here in OKC that played for CLM while at OSU and they both gave me the same story. I think it had a lot to do with why Gundy would not allow him to address the team after he left. Should you want to know, pm me and I'll tell you. I just don't want to be responsible for how you will feel about him once you know.

6. LEGACY TIGER

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stick with what I do know. He, like many coaches don't exit in the most graceful way. As Okie stated, and I agree, the divorce between the coach and the fans is never easy, and the only way to make all happy is to retire. Even then, many might speculate that they will come back, ie several NFL coaches that are out there right now, that is unless they are a dinasour like Bowden.

I have come to terms that I would like Miles to stay as long as he wants with the stipulation that he is putting a quality team on the field. Should he decide to go, it isn't much different to me than the players, 4-5 yrs then it is a change of faces. The coaches really aren't that much different.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

all I know is that if Miles is on our sidelines next year, he will have been our head coach longer than anyone since ChollyMac

8. LEGACY TIGER

Funny you posted that, because that was the thought that went through my head right after I made my post. As much as I would like to think that Miles could be our ChollyMac of today, I think that loyalty is a fading thing in college sports. You have fewer and fewer of the lifers or long term coaches out there. A big reason is that with the power house schools the demand for an excellent product is so high that the fans and schools pull the trigger or chase them off. Look at Auburn, Tubby may have been a prick, but he is a very good coach. A coach that would, in the long run, do much better than what they replaced him with.

9. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I am going to try to be positive and say Miles will be a lifer at LSU - assuming he keeps winning.

10. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Miles speak to Skip immediately following Okie State's loss in San Antonio? And wasn't he subsequently flamed in the media after? Not sure if that's exactly the way it went down, but something like it. In the end, though, it worked out best for Miles.

As far as Saban, everyone knew he wanted to at least give the NFL a shot; didn't the Chicago Bears come calling the year before? I also think, though, most accepted the fact he would go to the NFL and it was just a matter of time before he left, anyway. More people were pissed at how he went out (losing to Iowa in the Cap One Bowl) than him actually leaving. What got LSU fans assed up was the fact he came back to the college ranks at a rival school. That's something he has to live with and he burned his own bridges.

Bottomline is there is no good way to leave-someone is always going to feel like they got the shaft. Regardless, I accept the fact to coaches it's a business; for fans, we get emotionally involved, whether we like it or not.