Will Fans come out? Fans R not supporting this team.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Berge

Berge Founding Member

There's no excuse for the lack of students though. Kentucky on a Saturday and the AD had to sell student tickets to get more people in. It's pathetic... especially when you have some of us out there at least three hours ahead of time to get good seats.

P.S.

LSU Women play Ole Miss tomorrow. Ole Piss impressively scored 94 points against Arkansas...

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I know that's sarcasm, but people can't lay all the blame on the fans. Just look at where we rank in SEC attendance for football, baseball, wbball. LSU fans have proven time and time again that they will support programs that can consistently win.

Given Brady's rocky start at LSU, it's going to take a few years of consistent winning to get attendance up. Fans are slowly coming back to the PMAC. Keep winning and they'll keep coming in larger numbers.

3. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

Lastly to continue my thoughts... LSU fans expect you to play for the name on the front of the jersey and not the back of it. When kids come to LSU to play 1 or 2 years and leave, I think hurts fan support. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 80 and 86 teams did not have any kids leave to the NBA early for the so called hardship rule. Is this the reason for poor attendance? Not hardly, but it is definately one of the problems.

4. col reb

col reb Founding Member

For those of you that care about statistics...

Tennessee: Thomspon Boling (SEC): Official Capacity: 24535/ Average season attendance: 17954 (73% of capacity

LSU?: PMAC (SEC): Official Capacity: 13472 /Average season attendance: 9267

Is their basketball gym like their stadium? Fans have to sit on one cheek of their butt?:grin:

5. pheroy

pheroy Founding Member

Honestly, this and not advancing in the NCAA are my only quibbles with Brady at the moment. Hopefully the 2nd becomes history soon. Brady's poor salesmanship of the program early on is haunting him. There are fans out there who were alienated by various things Brady did or said, and have been reluctant to come back and support the team. He does seem to have made a conscious effort to do a better job in that regard the last couple of years, and of course along with winning it helps. But he dug himself a pretty good hole to climb out of.

Now, if I were in BR I'd be there Saturday if at all possible. And I've ponied up $99 for ESPN GamePlan to catch as many games as possible, although just a few have showed up.

6. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

More like he crawled into the hole Dale Brown dug and has been filling it with dirt ever since. Now he is building a new basketball program on that new dirt.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

While I hear this year in and year out... "Brady's X and Brady's Y alienated fans..." How "real" is this? Consider this, many of the students that are currently at LSU weren't even around when LSU was IN probation. The "early" years of Brady's time, during probation, were over 4 years ago. So, technically, I don't buy that students can't come out because of things that Brady has done or said in the past.

Now, I acknowledge that in the non-student community there were a lot of loyal Dale Brown supporters who were the older generation and had issues with Brady early on, but at some level "fanship" needs to be support of a school and it's program, its kids, its successes that go beyond the coach's off the court antics or personalities. The perfect example is Bobby Knight, John Chaney, so on and so on. Their results, their winning was respected, despite their personalties. When our basketball team WINS its conference, isn't there something wrong with our being 8th in the conference in attendance?

I do agree with some that perhaps "momentum" of our program doesn't translate into increased attendance quickly enough. AND, with a top 20 young team coming back, perhaps next year people will attend games more often. I hope so.

But, I also hope that for the one last home game this season, LSU CAN be a "basketball" school. If for just one game, for respect for the Tigers', their work in 2005-6 and for the Purple n' Gold.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs:

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

TGer'n, you would not happen to be making the trip this weekend would you?

9. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

the place will be rocking saturday...no doubt about it...this team deserves it....and i feel sorry for Ole Miss right now.

10. pheroy

pheroy Founding Member

I mostly agree with this, but has the lack of attendance been primarily students? My impression, which is mainly formed from TV and internet forums, is that the current students are fairly supportive and show up pretty well, at least when classes are in session. If that is indeed the case, then it's the non-student fan base that is primarily responsible for the missing attendance. Many of those folks have been around long enough have developed a dislike of Brady several years ago. Maybe some have memories of Brown though I have difficulty understanding why, 9 years on, that in itself would keep them from attending. Note that Brown had plenty of detractors too among the fanbase at the time, so I don't think it's anywhere near a situation like Mike Davis being in Knight's shadow and not gaining acceptance.

Unfortunately, a lot of what I have heard from fans on the net in regard to disliking Brady is based on personal stuff, some of it rumor. I just had lunch with a guy who has coached basketball and spent time with Brady, and he said he's never seen someone tear into people the way Brady did and would never recommend anyone work or play for him. My own opinion is that until recently he made enough mistakes on the court and in program management (esp. terrible attrition due to schollies to players of questionable skill or character).

Totally agreed. Geaux Tigers! I am really hungry for a good LSU run in the NCAA!