Will it be legal to add the "donation" cost into the price of a ticket to sell it?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Purple Jungle, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

As I understand it, it would be illegal to sell the ticket for more than $36.

2. JustinTI

JustinTI Founding Member

I dont think so because it is a donation. I just dont think it would fly, especially if you write off that donation.

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

On another discussion about TAF I thought someone mentioned that you could prorate the "donation"

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

You could sell the tickets for whatever you wanted to if you sell something with it. For instance, ticket for $36 and a Pencil/Coke whatever for $64:D :dis: :D :dis: :D :dis:

5. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

You can get around the no scalping ticket law in Louisiana like this. Instead of selling a ticket to an LSU football game, you sell another item like a LSU decal for instance and throw in the football ticket as a free bonus. There is no law saying you can't charge $85 for a Bumper Sticker. You get to pocket the money and will not get in trouble with the law. I saw this method used on EBAY a few times during last football season where the seller was in a state that outlawed scalping. Hey I'm not saying it is ok or not ok to scalp tickets. Personally I won't pay scalpers prices but that is just me.

6. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Pursuant to the scalping laws, you are allowed to "prorate" the amount of any donation required for each ticket and add that to the ticket price and not run afoul of the scalping laws.

However, pursuant to the scalping laws, a group requiring a donation "shall" print the value of that prorated donation amount on the ticket. As far as I know, LSU is currently NOT doing that with TAF donations.

However, I plan to write Skip and inform him of the law. Given that every seat in specified sections will have the donation placed upon those seats, placing the prorated donation amount on the ticket shouldn't be onerous.

I don't have the law in front of me, but I'll post it tomorrow when I get the chance.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Ive seen that on Ebay. I wonder how well that would hold up in a courtroom. Because clearly fair market value of a sticket is not $100.