Will LSU need "style points" to lead OU in the BCS?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsudolemite, Oct 18, 2007.

1. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

We need "style points" to boost our confidence in going undefeated the rest of the season all the way to the BG and earning the :crystal: .

2. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

islstl and I had gotten into this discussion earlier this week. My quick answer is there are just to many variables to know for sure. If you want to know more, read on.

Let's look at what we know: LSU has a HUGE edge in the computers and Oklahoma has a considerable lead in both human polls.

Now, let's look at what this means. LSU is currently running at 3rd on average in the computers. LSU should be a solid No. 2 after this week, but LSU will not pass OSU in the computers unless OSU loses. The Big 10 is weak this year, but it's not weak enough for LSU to jump an unbeaten Ohio State.

Oklahoma on the other hand is running about 12th in the computers. Obviously, if they win out, they will not stay that low. Teams ahead of them will lose, and they'll float their way back to the top. If the human polls were to keep Oklahoma ahead of us by the margin they are now, Oklahoma would only need to get up around 3 or 4 in the computers to pass us. They would not need to move ahead of us.

The big question mark is what will the voters do. If the voters start swinging votes our way, Oklahoma is screwed. If we don't dent their lead in the polls, we're in trouble.

To be on-topic, LSU will need style points probably to make sure some of the human vote swings our way. In the computers, obviously, MoV means nothing.

3. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

The only "style points" we need right now is to score at least 1 more point than AU this weekend..... lets not get ahead of ourselves here!!

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Which is why I wrote "assuming no more losses." And yes, that's a very big assumption with over a month of football left to go. My point is if both teams stay on track, as fickle as the national media is, I can easily envision a 2003 scenario, only wih OU sitting on the outside of the BCSCG looking in, and claiming a share of the NC.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I second everything DarkHornet said.

Style points mean everything right now (if LSU, OSU and OU all run the table).

The Big12 just plain sucks this season (moreso than last season).

The SEC is the strongest its ever been in its history. 10 teams have garnered votes in the polls, Ole Miss almost beat Florida and Bama, and Vandy is not the pushover it once was.

My gut feeling is that most voters believe LSU is a better team than OU, its just a matter of us winning with those style points we speak so much about to get much closer in the human polls to OU. In the end, I would be shocked if we didn't overtake them in the BCS.