Will the A&M game be special?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by roynav, Nov 23, 2015.

1. roynav

roynav free your mind

Hard to call this one. Does the team win one for Miles, or collapse because the program is collapsing, all their coaches will be gone, Orgeron to Syracuse, assistant coaches heads not in the game, worrying about next job, moving their kids etc?

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I am not a huge fan of Alleva either but LSU gave Les more than most head coaches with no blow back for years. Always gave extensions and raises and let Miles release coaches on good terms (the assistants terms) etc... Last year Alleva and LSU decided that this formula was working and LSU was cutting checks for no results so they made a move to get away from that formula which I agree with. LSU is one of the only schools that gave assistants great stability with detailed contracts, etc...

3. roynav

roynav free your mind

I don't disagree with any of what you wrote. I would just add that once Alleva and boosters decided it was not working, tthey should probably have removed Les then instead of making him "dead man walking." Under no circumstances do they let it play out like it has these past 10 ugly days.

TheRealist and COTiger like this.
  4. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

It's not like this stuff with Chavis' contract is just now coming out. I know less than most, but I knew a year ago at least in general what transpired with Chavis. It's not breaking news. And Franks was wavering on his commitment before the losing streak and this media circus.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Chavis left mainly because of MIles lack of offense.

Richdog and ParadiseiNC like this.
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Sources close to LSU said former Tigers defensive coordinator John Chavis' growing frustration with the struggles of the team's offense was the primary reason heleft for the same job at Texas A&M.

The sources said the contract negotiations, the Aggies offered $340,000 more annually, were a non-issue in his decision to leave LSU and that Chavis simply felt it was time to go.

Chavis' frustrations reached a crescendo this season when LSU finished first in the SEC in total defense, No. 8 in the nation and second in scoring defense. LSU was 11th in total offense and last in passing offense in the SEC, resulting in an 8-5 record, tied for the worst in coach Les Miles' 10 seasons.

In the past four seasons, Chavis' LSU defenses finished no worse than No. 15.

"(Chavis) threw his hands up and felt he'd done all he could do," one source said. "They made zero progress offensively and it became a sore point, not that he was pointing fingers, but it led to some uncomfortable feelings.

"I think the thing that still gnaws at him was the BCS championship game (in 2012 that LSU lost 21-0), where he holds Alabama out of the end zone for the longest time. He felt, 'What else could I do?'" In that game, Alabama kicked five field goals before finally scoring a touchdown late in the fourth quarter.

Chavis hinted as much when he landed in College Station, Texas, in a private plane with Aggies coach Kevin Sumlin on Jan. 1, saying he was "excited to play with a great offense," according to the Houston Chronicle.

"They made zero progress offensively and it became a sore point," source says.

Texas A&M finished sixth in SEC in total offense but averaged 449.3 yards per game, far ahead of LSU's 383.4, which was 77thnationally. The Aggies were the SEC's top passing team, averaging 306.4 yards per game in Sumlin's up-tempo, no-huddle attack.

LSU defensive coordinator search continues: Talkin' TigersRachel Whittaker and Jim Kleinpeter discuss what's new on the LSU football coaching staff.
    LSU offered Chavis a three-year extension worth $1.33 million annually, but money was never a factor in him leaving LSU.

Another source said Chavis had pursued the defensive coordinator job at South Carolina, his native state, and that his wife had never moved to Baton Rouge from the couple's home in Knoxville, Tenn. But ultimately Texas A&M "threw too much money" at him with a three-year deal at $1.67 million annually and an option on a fourth season, so he chose the Aggies.

The source said Chavis, although frustrated, had no hard feelings toward Miles, who hired him in 2009 after Tennessee fired him and the rest of Phillip Fulmer's staff.

"He told people Les was the best coach he'd ever worked for and that he loved him," the source said.

Kal-El012 likes this.
  7. TheRealist

TheRealist GEAUX TIGERS

This is all speculation anyway but why not just fire him instead of tying his hands?

Les doesn't work that way, if anything he probably thought they would be okay in these last three games. I don't see Les calling anyone out like that anyway. Same question though, if the AD is going to tamper with the assistant coaches why not just fire Les at that time and call it a day? Seems like a self fulfilling prophecy to handcuff him and then expect him to win anyway.

Honestly I'm just pissed off with how this is being handled. I think it's time for a change but I also feel Les deserves at least another year considering the current talent and class coming in. Maybe this was Alleva's way of forcing Miles to make major changes.

StaceyO likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Les isn't a guy like that. In case you don't remember even when it's time for those to depart he would handle it with class and generally get them set up in their new role elsewhere.

TheRealist likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

And then hire them back when they got fired from their FCS job.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Can't argue with that. He did most certainly and it completely backfired.