Will the Baseball team make it to the SEC Tournament?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mrx, May 7, 2006.

1. mrx

mrx Founding Member

I'm not sure. Winning is great, but we should be killing Auburn, the games should not be as close as they have been. Like Saban would always say "There is a difference between winning and success. Winning is getting the results and success is executing on every play. Once you have success, winning will take care of itself." Losing Olvey is big. He has been the only consistent pitcher for LSU all year long. You would think that by playing Vanderbilt next week we would sweep them, but I doubt that will even happen. I believe we are still 1 game behind MSU for a spot in the SEC Tournament.

2. clair

clair Rockets

a win is a win...

the standing are the same whether we beat Auburn 10-0, 10-0, or 5-4, 5-3

Auburn was ahead of us in the standings coming into this series, so I don't know how they become such a joke in your eyes

3. mrx

mrx Founding Member

Why do I consider Auburn a joke?

They are 22-26 overall and 9-13 in SEC play. Need I say more?

4. clair

clair Rockets

you do realize that coming into this series they had a better SEC record than us right?

I guess that makes us a joke then

5. gzilla

gzilla Founding Member

So you think only teams that can dominate Auburn are capable of making the SEC tournament?

6. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I think that they will find a way to get in. They are playing better now. I dont think this is a series to jump up and down about. LSU beat a team that is on their level and now they are right back in the mix for the tourney. Having said that, LSU's level isn't even close to that of the top teams in this conference. Im happy that they have now have sweep under their belts, but dont let this fool you. This is a team that is a work in progress. Auburn is dead last in pitching and second to last in hitting. Vandy will pose a much larger challenge to the Tigers. Vandy is hitting over .300 in league play and has an ERA just over 5.00. I know that isn't great, but LSU is still working on that ERA over 6.50.

7. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Good points, but I've thought that LSU's weakest link over this season was the fact that they weren't capable of playing as a team. Whether that's because of youth, inexperience, the weather or what have you, it seems to be on its way to becoming a thing of the past. LSU has been playing with swagger the last few weekends and has seemed to get better with each game and series. Sure there is still an Everest to climb, so to speak, but you have to start somewhere. It's obvious that this team will probably not make it out of a regional, if indeed it gets that far, but considering the way that they were playing just 2 months ago... I guess it's a start in the right direction for a young team.

For all of you "glass half empty" guys out there who think that youth and inexperience are no excuse for inconsistent and lethargic play... I simply cannot reason with you. I'll admit that there are TONS of problems either with this coaching staff or the way that they coach. Perhaps it is only the latter that needs to be addressed, but I'm content sitting back and watching the Tigers play respectable ball--maybe not dominating, but it sure isn't lethargic either--rather than complaining about the coaching staff and the myriad of other "problems."

8. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Well, we obviously have a talented enough pitching staff to dominate many teams, including AU this past weekend. I think LSU will make it to the tourney, but regardless if they make it or not, this team will most likely be in a regional somewhere barring a complete meltdown. You decide which is more important: making the SECT or a regional.

9. gzilla

gzilla Founding Member

Our pitching is talented enought to dominate? I don't agree with that.

If we make the SEC tournament, we're in the NCAAs. If we aren't, then it's a very real possibility, maybe even a probability that we won't be.

10. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

well, i think, not only we make it to the SEC tourny, i think we get there in 7th place. We have 12-12 vandy and 7-17 florida left in the sec. Vandy is the last home series so hopefully, the fans will turn out and florida, well, they're not so hot.