Will the Republicans / Democrats that you support...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Bases, sites, whatever the F you want to call them all. Waste.

2. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

We could probably use even less.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We can probably bring more ground troops back from Germany, most of them have already returned. But Russia has not gone away and we need to have an on-the-ground presence to insure that potential adversaries know that an attack on Europe is an attack on the US.

Japan is a bit different. We have an aggressive enemy in North Korea and Japanese bases are essential. We do not have extensive island bases near Japan and Korea. Guam is the closest and it is 1500 miles from Japan.

4. red55

Indefensible position. You didn't listen to a word I said.

Indefensible position. Make your case and I'll destroy it.

5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

My position is less = more efficient and nimble.

6. red55

At the cost of global reach and power projection. You want to resign as Superpower?

7. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Red I respect your points but we have to do something. Rome fell because of economic pressures. We will also. We must cut everywhere. The speed at which we can move troops are much faster than we could years ago. We can't police the world. We can't afford to.
    I have read that we feed much of the world. Most of Africa would starve without the united states. We must ask full market value for our goods. We pay full market value for the oil we import.
    I guess I listened to t Boone pickens too much when he pitched the nat gas thing. If we keep importing oil we will go broke. I don't think carbon taxes will do anything to help. We must use something else. Farmers use propane all the time in trucks. Why can't we use nat gas? Why would it bankrupt us to change? Could it cost more than the 400 billion we spend on oil every year. I don't know the answer and am not trying to be a smart ass. I welcome the education.
    No matter who is the blame with the pensions it's still bad. My employer pays for my health INS. I pay 206$ a week for my family. I pay into my retirement. I have seen battles in new jersey over union state workers going crazy because they were asked to pay a small precentage of their families health INS with the employee still being fully paid. I don't feel bad for them at all. Why should their family have free INS when I pay over 800$ a month for mine? They are bankrupting their states. Even FDR thought it was a bad idea for gov workers to be in unions. I see it as extorsion.
    When I say we play hardball I mean commercially. We have made deals all over the world with trade agreements that have caused a mass exodus of the manufacturing industries of the USA.
    We give money away to people that hate us. If your going to give aid out around the world you have to get something for it. We are borrowing 40 cents on every dollar spent to give it away. Can't keep doing it. Were going broke.
    Why do I have to pay other peoples cell phone bills? We give away money for votes. A roman over a thousand years ago said" when citizens realize they can vote themselves money from the treasury a republic is doomed" or something like that. That is what has happened to us. Politicans buy votes. Dems buy them like the free cell phones and rep do with tax breaks to corporations. We can't keep it up. I don't know how to fix it but as long as they're sacred cows that can't be touched nothing will be done.

8. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

How did Rome go down again?

9. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

We must get our house in order. Goverment giveaways and social spending has cost us so much we can't afford to be a superpower. Damn shame.

10. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Are you kidding. We're worse off. Obama is spending trillions and cutting pennies.