Will Tiger Stadium's field be better this year?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It will look a lot better if we win all of our home games on it.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This is the story on the field condition last year from the LSU groundskeepers.

The turf in Tiger Stadium lays upon a thick sand base over a state-of-the-art drainage system which is why you don't see water standing on the field like you did in the 70's and earlier. It soaks through and gets pumped out quickly.

However last year there were persistent rains in September and October that kept the field wet and caused the grass to develop a shallow root system. This grass came up in clumps all season and there was nothing they could do about it. They can cover the field the morning before a game to keep it dry, but they can't keep it covered through weeks of showers or they will kill the grass.

If the weather cooperates, we will see the fine turf we are used to this year. Believe me, this is one of the most pampered lawns on the planet.

3. The Big Bengal

The Big Bengal Founding Member

According to someone who was on campus today and took a peek in the stadium, the turf sucks right now. They've got a month or so to get it looking good.

4. FOREVER LSU

FOREVER LSU Founding Member

I was on it two weeks ago and it seemed to be a little spotty, but overall, not bad.

Naturally, during the season, the paint kills the grass fast and turns it "sandy." I was standing on the eye of the tiger at midfield the day after the USC game this past season and the eye was like dirt. Nevertheless, from the bleachers or the television, you cannot tell the difference.

Recently, I was on Kyle Field in Aggieland and it was in about the same condition as Death Valley.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I hope you wiped your feet.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The cadet's dates graze there in the off season, I hear.