Will X-man be ready for bowl?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blackstripes, Dec 6, 2004.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Yeah, that All-American kickoff against Jawja was pretty outstanding...

I hate to say this, but if Saban's the type that will jerk a running back over a single fumble, it sure is funny how guys can throw three picks and remain in a game, or...Oh...I don't know...KNEEL DOWN ON THE DAMN ONE YARD LINE ON THE ROAD ON NATIONAL TELEVISION DURING AN ABSOLUTE DEMORILZATION...and somehow retain return responsibitlies on special teams.

I don't care if the guy is Donte Hall, if he did that, then he'd get his next chance to field a punt or kick come the Spring Game...

Sorry guys...I wasn't posting here, in an attempt to retain my sanity and avoid every minute meltdowns during that dark period of the season...I had to get that off my chest, if a little bit belatedly...

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

well if you read the previous statement then you would know what i am talking about.. he said that carter was the best returner because he had the most yards per return.. i said that he had the most yards per return because of big returns against weak teams.. yes, his returns were pivital in the win.. i like the x-man..i hope he plays in the bowl game and runs 5 back for tds.. i just saying that i dont think he will see much playing time, therefore he will not play a significant role in the game.. if he does.. great.. happy for him, quick healer, great for the program.. but i dont see it..

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

This isn't the way to fix a freshman mistake - bench his ass the rest of the year? :dis: :dis: No way, look at how much better he did after that. He knew he messed up, nobody had to tell him that. Also, Saban said that he didn't pull Broussard for fumbling, he pulled him because he hadn't put in the work all week at practice and that fumble proved that Broussard's head & heart weren't in the game. :dis: Didn't we win that football game? Didn't Randall come back to have a pretty nice game after throwing those interceptions? Saban had told him to not worry about making a small mistake because he was going to leave him in, that's what allowed him to come back and win the game for us.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Yeah, we should have benched Carter for the rest of the season for making that mistake vs UGA, which was just as much Addai's fault as his. And we should have benched every Tigah for the rest of the season for every mental mistake they made, then by the end of the season we would be recruiting walk-ons from ULL to play. That wasn't a very bright statement.

And folks I have to tell ya, Carter's mental laspe was a microcosm of the first half of this season. The pressure to try and defend the National Championship and please the fans was overwhelming to this young team, especially on offense but it was on the defense too, they all played too timidly. The second half vs UF was really the first time all season that we played with reckless abandon and didn't worry about making a mistake or missing a tackle, etc.

The one player on the team that really never did get into his flow at all was Green. He just wasn't himself at all, I cannot believe all of the kickoffs and punts he let bounce and his bad decisions lead to very poor field position on numerous occasions. He is the big playmaker we were really missing this year and I hope he can return to form next year and in the bowl game. I know his injury played a major part in his play this season, maybe if he can start off next year 100% healthy he can have a bang up year.

5. Tiger_23

Tiger_23 Founding Member

No I did not say Carter was the best returner. You my friend are the one who said he wasn't as good as the other two returners. I was just pointing out that his production at the position was at least as good as theirs. Also, he didn't "see much playing time" in the Troy game, but he did play a significant role! You don't have to play a lot in a game to affect the outcome.

6. Tiger_23

Tiger_23 Founding Member

If coach Saban had benched that outstanding freshman for the rest of the season for one mental breakdown it would have been a big error in judgment. Saban did bench him for the rest of the game which was the right thing to do. Saban did the right thing by letting him return kicks & in doing so helped him build some confidence.

Why would true LSU fans belittle a freshman for a mistake that did not affect the outcome of the game? If Carter had downed the ball in the end-zone (like he was supposed to do) do you really think we would have won that game?

7. locoguano

i think the very first statement i made was take out of context.. i said he wont contribute, but i said it because he is coming off an injury..

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

The second statement you made is what got people a bit flustered:

Nothing to lose any sleep over though.

Early in the season, Carter was shaky as a returner... Very very hesitant.. As the season progressed though, he progressed as well and improved. Too bad we are even talking about him recovering from an injury. :(

9. locoguano

i still think he is a downgrade from addai and green when it comes to returns.. he had an overall better average, but takeaway returns against weak teams, and his average was fairly poor.. yes, the return against troy was important.. what im saying is that teams like troy and asu do not have good kick coverage because smaller schools lack the depth for good special teams. kick coverage people are typically your backups on offense and defense. these teams are deep enough to have alot of talent on kick coverage, so against teams like asu and troy a player can get good returns...

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

That would make some sense if Carter was the only guy who returned a kick against ASU and Troy... here are the return stats for those two games.

ASU

Carter, 1 for 42 yards
    Addai, 1 for 15 yards

Troy

Carter, 2 for 60 yards
    Addai, 1 for 21 yards

I assume the inferior competition argument would apply to Addai as well?