Wilson's Syndrome

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by lsu99, Jan 18, 2015.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Stress is probably one of the worst elements of our society today. And it seems like all of our technology contributes to it even more. Essentially, one can never be disconnected from his/her job because of cell phones, etc. Even my principal will send out certain emails about what we can wear to work the next day (jeans, etc.) at odd times of the day and night. Many of us think she does this to see who has their email attached to their their cell phones (I don't.) Then, when we're not in jeans, etc., she'll know we don't stay connected to our emails.

We should be able to disconnect from work, but bosses don't want us to be able to. It's unhealthy, though.

Our kids are also overscheduled, and fight that as I've tried, we still have too much activity around our house, as well. Now, with my older daughter poised for high school next year, we have drill/dance team tryouts looming in the next couple of months. If she makes that team, I don't even know how I'll get her to every practice and activity.

And now Texas high school students must choose a major. So, we'll have a four-year planning meeting in the next couple of weeks with her guidance counselor.

No one is allowed to chill out anymore.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

This is nuts. I did some reading but I can't verify if this is the entire state or just Houston Uni SD. I also read that some 8th graders are being encouraged to select a major. I guess you can change up until 10th grade but not after.

I'm trying to see both sides but at the end of the day, I have a problem with a child lacking in reasoning skills and ability to predict future consequences, being forced into a decision that will likely be made by a lot of their parents. I hate gubment intrusion.

shane0911 likes this.
  3. StaceyO

As far as I know, it's state-wide, as we are in the DFW Metroplex, and they are doing this up here. At least, they invite the parents to attend the meeting where our children make their selections; however, some parents won't go. I'll have to take a day off of work, but I'm going to be there to know what's going on.

One of my 8th graders complained about the whole process. Her quote was, "I don't even know what I want for dinner, and the state wants me to plan out the rest of my life." Good point.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, what are these "majors" like. If they are too narrow, I don't get it at all. Kids that age should be getting as broad an education as possible. Even undergraduates in college are sometimes better off taking interdisciplinary studies and specializing later in graduate school. Depth of knowledge is a great thing, but not at the expense of breadth of knowledge. Mastering both is a key to success.

Or is this just a politically correct terminology to track "college-bound" kids differently from "occupational training" and "remedial" kids.

Bengal B likes this.
  5. StaceyO

I'm not quite sure since this is only the second year for choosing a major. I think it has more to do with college prep vs. votech, but again, I don't really know. Hence, why it's imperative that I make sure I'm at my daughter's four-year planning meeting. I think she'll likely "major" in a humanities-heavy load. She's planning on taking honors algebra and perhaps honors science next year, but she's thinking she'll go pre-AP with English and history, so that she's prepared for AP courses in those two subjects her junior and senior years. (My tiny high school in Livingston Parish did not have AP or honors courses at all. I'm happy my kids will have those options available.)

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I do think there is an element of funneling kids into professional vs occupational/trade, etc. The selection of a "major" is referred to in HB5 as an "endorsement". The student will have their endorsement indicated on their diploma and I suppose can elect to take classes in that area of study. Those include, "STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math), business and
    industry, public services, arts and humanities, and multidisciplinary studies."

In addition, unless I'm understanding it incorrectly, the program is largely aimed at keeping college students IN Texas and going to Texas universities. "All high school graduates would be eligible to apply for admission to Texas public four-year universities, and those who met additional academic achievement requirements would be eligible to receive a
    TEXAS grant. Only students completing the distinguished level and graduating in the top 10 percent of their class would be eligible for college admission under the top 10 percent automatic admissions law. "

It also seems to be tied to STAAR test scores, etc which is confusing because school districts who have pursued common core have dropped the STAAR test process. It's all just too much I think for students and parents to get a grip on, teachers as well. Silo educational processes aren't going to help.

http://keranews.org/post/texas-students-choose-career-paths-eighth-grade-and-thats-creating-anxiety

Clearly, a budget increase is next to facilitate more counselors. I have to wonder if the counselors are any more adept at helping a student make this choice than a parent or even a stranger.