Windows 10 free upgrade

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Jul 30, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

My only complaint so far is the upgrade time. 10 hours is excessive but it may have been because a lot of people were trying to upgrade.

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I'll give it a test drive... My laptop died and the wife can't handle Ubuntu, so all of my PCs are Windows 7 at the moment.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I'm not sure if I would switch from 7 to 10. But 8 to 10 is a no brainier. 8 sucks.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm sticking with 7 until I hear what users say about 10. How long does the free upgrade period last before you have to pay for it?

5. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I pushed the upgrade through the day before yesterday from 7 to 10. No way in hell was I upgrading from 7 until something good came along. Windows 10 looks to be every bit as good as 7. It took 2 hours from start to finish. I let it pretty much run on its own. Looks and feels solid so far. Boots up pretty quick. The Edge browser is surprising fast. My taskbar remained at the top of my screen, the shortcuts I had pinned remained, the dock I use to launch frequent programs remained in the configuration pre-upgrade. Passwords, userid's, etc. are all imported as well. This has to be the smoothest, least invasive OS upgrade I have ever done.

I like that you can snap to the corners, instead of just the sides. The virtual desktops will come in handy as well.

tirk likes this.
  6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

One year

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

8 is on my laptop and I really have no problems with it. All the programs I use are pinned to my taskbar so I rarely see that stupid tile page. About the only time I do see it is when I am searching for a document. 8 is faster than 7. That said, 7 was a much better interface. I have just adapted 8 to what I need it to do. I don't think I will upgrade to 10 because ultimately I think it will run slower since my laptop is about 18 months old.

I rarely upgrade OSs because of that. The newer OS is usually built to run on the most current chip and memory configurations. More often than not, you end up with a slower user experience.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

True. Need to upgrade the hardware first. I wonder if the new computers in the stores right now already are being sold with 10.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

5 common problems people are having with Windows 10 – and how to fix them

Chrome is crazy
    Chrome browser users are running into a bunch of problems with bogging and slow-downs, especially which performing heavy tasks like streaming video.

We’ll have to wait for Google to iron out the bugs but in the meantime, killing all your extensions will help a bit. If that doesn’t help, try reinstalling Chrome.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/5-common-problems-people-having-windows-10-fix-194100862.html