Winning Standards

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by USNavyTiger, Jun 16, 2005.

1. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

What is acceptable?

For the football team?

The basketball team?

and currently, the baseball team?

Winning the championship every year in every sport?

should LSU fans not expect to see LSU in omaha every year, and maybe winning a game or two?

What are the realistic expectations for fans of LSU?

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Win everything or heads will roll. :angryfire

3. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Next year, winning the West is the only thing that makes next year acceptable, imo.

4. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I dont know if we have the right to say whats acceptable. Reason being is that people's expectations are just way to high. That is at every university. Next year in football LSU should be great. They will more than likely be a 1 or 2 loss team. I just dont see undefeated in the SEC even though Auburn did it. But, they had the stars lined up just as LSU did in 03. I do believe that this year though the fans have much more reason to have higher expectations with this team.

In basketball 20-24 wins is great. But, they do need to start winning some tourney games. I'm not saying win it all, but a few tourney wins to make things interesting is great.

5. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Football 2005 - anything short of being in Atlanta will be disappointing. In past years LSU has had good teams but may have been a player or two short and have to recruit a player to fill a hole. But this team that Les Miles has inherited has the talent on campus right now to be very special.

Basektball - being happy just making it to the NCAA Tournament is settling for mediocrity. LSU should be competing for the SEC title and at least focused on advancing in the NCAA Tournament. Being in the field of 65 is a goal of Southland Conference, Mid-Con schools not a school like LSU. Brady is not very well liked by anyone and if the Tigers don't make the dance next year I think he will be fired.

Baseball - winning 5 national titles and being so dominant has left my view on this a bit askewed. Smoke has taken LSU to 2 CWS in his four seasons. And many will argue that it's much tougher to make it to Omaha now with the Super Regional format. This year's team underachieved IMO but Smoke still gets a pass for now.

Do we as fans expect too much, I don't think so. LSU fans and boosters are shelling out copious amounts of money to keep LSU among the collegiate elite and should expect a good return on that investment.

6. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I agree, but just b/c you pay X amount of dollars for Tix or whatever, you cant help if a play here or a play there makes the difference b/t 1 and 3 loses. Plus, no one puts a gun to anyones head and makes you pay boodles of money to go watch. Just b/c you pay money doesnt mean these guys are going to play any harder or any better or anything like that. All Miles, Brady, Smoke, Skip can do is bring in the best players they can. If they lose a few games by a free throw, or a field goal, or whatever it shouldnt be grounds for someone to say "I pay this and this, we should win 11 games." If they put a good product on the field that wins some games, maybe not the championship, but is amongst the top in conference and in the top 15-20 teams yearly, I think you get your moneys worth. :lsup:

7. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Baseball - 35+ wins... good post season play (losses with heart are o.k., but at least win one game in omaha every 3 or so years).

Football - this season no more then 1 loss, more then that would be considered a failure, after that... 8-9 win seasons w/ bowl games (preferably new years day bowls or upper level bowls) with at least title runs or top 5 finishes every 5 years.

8. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

Every university? Really?

sooo.... with that logic...

Kentucky is expecting a championship this year in football?

San jose state?

Bowling green?

[​IMG]

you really should think about your current post style...

posting without thinking will not be accepted...[​IMG]

9. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

The Brown Suit needs to avoid another December-January melt down, have a record significantly above 21-12, advance beyond the first round of the NCAA's, have an attendance figure above 10,000, and maybe he'll see an extention. If football wins big, basketball will have to march to the same tune.