Wisconsin schools call off classes as budget protests continue

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Feb 17, 2011.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

In all fairness, that's what it is. Some of us just don't have a problem with that. Unions are antiquated and unnecessary today.

Just once, I'd like to see a private business owner fire all of his employees instead of heeding to the wishes of the unions. You would have to shut down your factory or whatever for a couple of months, rehire and train, allowing those who were former employees the ability to get their jobs back, and then reopen the factory. I can assure you, his employees would never unionize again.

Not sure if you can do that as a public official as it may not be in the best interest of your constituents but a small or even midsized manufacturer could do this even though it would be quite costly in the short term.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I tend to agree, but some kind of collective bargaining is needed or we return to the 19th century. It's this union policy where every other union quits working if one union goes on strike that is BS.

The teachers unions in Wisconsin, like the auto workers unions before them, began to demand concessions that were out of line with average American rates and benefits. The unions must reform or they must be replaced by some other form of bargaining.

This has been tried many times. The Teamsters have put many a business out of work by denying them truck transport in retaliation. It's this collaboration between different unions to back each other up that I believe is a major problem.

3. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Wisconsin isn't broke. There is going to be a surplus at years end.

Wisconsin Gov. Walker Ginned Up Budget Shortfall To Undercut Worker Rights | TPMDC

This has nothing to do with the workers of Wisconsin, this is a feeble attempt to kill the unions that mainly support democrats. This shortfall is a direct result of the tax cuts this Governor put into place.

The people that work for the state work, just like you and I. The only 2 unions that won't be effected by this are the Firefighters and Police unions. Coincidentally the 2 unions that supported Republicans.

I salute you Wisconsin.

5. Texas_Tiger

Texas_Tiger Tiger Stuck in Aggie Land

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Thats because this is EXACTLY what this is about. Except the unions that support Republicans. The shortfall came when Walker implemented his tax cuts for the rich and out of state corporations.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

There you go again. Believing everything that you read.:rolleye33:

8. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

I am a public sector employee and I pay over 30% of my health care premium and consider myself damn lucky. I also pay over 13% of my salary into my pension fund while teachers in Wisconsin have been paying zero and are being asked by the governor to pay 5.3%. I know it hurts to lose money you are used to getting but it beats layoffs or furloughs. These public employees have to be willing to compromise with a state that is going broke. The current arrangements are unsustainable.

1 person likes this.
  9. martin

martin Banned Forever

just seems ludicrous for us to take sides in some sort of labor dispute that we know nothing about. perhaps they can hire superior employees for less. maybe not though. how should we know?

10. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

It's actually pretty easy for me. I love America so I oppose almost everything the ACLU, NOW, NAACP, SEIU, ALF-CIO, Global Warming alarmists and the DNC stand for.

These are the people who usually want something for nothing or believe they're worth more than they contribute.

They also love to cry foul and scream for social justice. (aka: I'm a failure so somebody else is to blame.)

Unions had their place in America's history. Now they should simply be in an American History textbook.