With a notion Ohio St. won't be #1 in 2 wks...the last time Bama played...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, Oct 21, 2007.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

a #1 ranked team, at home, happened to be against another Tiger team in '57. It was in B-ham, against Tigers with different stripes.

I don't think we've played a team that wasn't ranked #2 at home...but, in order to be sure of that I have to go back through decades of Bama vs ranked teams.

Interesting ball game last night, no doubt. The final TD worked, but I still wonder why the FG attempt wasn't called. Counting the 4th down calls against UF, what does that make, 6 times in a row Miles has taken gamble and won?

2. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

It makes me think of earlier this season when saban went for the FG and I thought a play for a TD should have been made. That worked out well also.

3. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

If you go back and rewatch the last couple of plays, and keep an eye on the game clock, you may come away with what I have now come away with - Matt Flynn, not the coaching staff, deserves the "blame" for the time on the clock. He seemed to handle the game clock like it was the middle of the first quarter. The second-to-last play ends with about 40 seconds left. The huddle breaks up before the last play with 18-19 seconds, and it takes Flynn until there are only 8 seconds left to get the ball snapped. There's no real reason why it had to take almost 11 seconds to hike the ball, in my opinion.

Now all of this is not to try to criticize Flynn - it's to show that Miles was probably honestly thinking that there would be plenty of time to take a shot at the end-zone and THEN try a field-goal if necessary. Flynn played an awesome overall game, and maybe he just knew the touchdown play was going to work! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I didn't realize that, thanks for catching that. Milles said to Holly Rowe that there were 16-18 seconds left and he felt confident they had time to take a shot to the end zone. They did mill around the line of scrimmage before the snap, probably was on Flynn. But boy, he sure threw up a perfect pass, and Byrd made a great catch.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Two different clock situations but I can see the thought. If I'm not mistaken, there was only a second or two left on the clock when the TD was caught, right? A tipped ball and the clock likely runs out. At least, that's the way I remember it.

------

AND, I was wrong about the first post when I started looking in more detail...but, it does come across as a bit ironic as well. According to our media guide OU was ranked #1 when they visited us back in...you guessed it, 2003.

6. Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard Founding Member

Actually Terry there was like three to four seconds when the play actually ended. My dad and I kept wondering where the announcers kept getting the "if the pass was incomplete the time would run out, one second left etc.". If you go back and watch that last play an extra two seconds came off the clock when it shouldn't have. Miles could have EASILY challenged that if he wanted.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kandjviz

Kandjviz Founding Member

Maybe it was strategy. If your intentions are to run a play to set up for the FG attempt you let the clock tick down, run the play and call timeout with 2 seconds on the clock. Then you get your FG team on the field and kick it. By letting the clock run down and Flynn's mannerisms he sold the defense on the running play. AU's Powers said he was surprised by the pass play. All the more reason to "Fear the Hat!":lsup: :geauxtige

8. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

All this clock criticism is ridiculous. What everyone fails to realize is both coaching staffs were having to make quick decisions on whether to call a time out or not. You also have to remember a college QB has to communicate with sidelines for play calling, this is not the NFL with Peyton Manning. Byrd was waving his hands to the coaches in the press box that he was not covered. The coaches saw Byrd and brought in the play to him. Matt kept calm on the field and threw the perfect pass to da man who call for the play. Byrd is becoming our #2 go to guy with a lot of talent behind him. I'd much rather win with gutsy play calling then playing it safe and losing. :thumb:

9. kcal

kcal Founding Member

and aren't we all glad it won't be necessary to gamble in 2 weeks :)

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Can the time clock be challenged? So many things can't be I don't know about that one at all.

I know it could have been reviewed.

My question had to do with if the ball had been tipped..which would have led to a second or two expiring. It's not a post criticizing the call, just one that I found interesting.

I'd sure hate to leave this game without giving you at least one more quote to add to your signature! :thumb: