With the AP poll out we really have an uphill battle to the NC game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Paper Tiger

Paper Tiger Freshman

Nobody ever said the road to the top would be easy. I''m more concerned about mounting injuries than any of the polls. When the Tigers are healthy they can handle any challenge.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

If we are fifth in the Harris Poll then I bet we are 3rd or 4th in the BCS. The computers will have us at number 2 or 3 in my opinion behind USF and perhaps BC. That means we need two out of BC USF Ohio State to lose and BC and USF both have big teams left to play. Plus the ACC has a championsihp game. I think we're in good shape. Plus we could get some SEC love at the end of the season.

3. downtown

downtown Founding Member

LSU is in perfect shape if they run the table. That is going to be the really tough thing. If we bring back the D we had for VT, we run the table. Simple as that. Our O was inconsistent yesterday and has been sloppy, but they did enough for us to win yesterday. You put up 27 at an opposing stadium, your D should hold them.

Look at the teams ahead of LSU:

Ohio State has played no one. Their big win was Purdue. They have Michigan State, Penn State (at Happy Valley at night) Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan left. That's a tough stretch and I doubt they'll survive it.

BC - their big win was against Georgia Tech. They've played no one either and will lose. They have VT this week I believe and then Fl. St., Clemson, etc.

South Florida - I haven't seen them yet, but obviously they beat Auburn and WV so they're pretty good. However, the other teams they have played have been mostly jokes. A one loss LSU could jump them. Still, they have Rutgers at Rutgers this week and then Cincy, UCONN, Louisville, etc. They're gonna get a loss here or there.

OU - If LSU wins out and OU wins out, LSU would jump them. OU beat Texas and Mizzou last night. Those are their big wins. They still have Texas Tech at Tech and Okie St. (throw in A&M too because you never know what they'll do). Then they have a championship game. They've got a chance to run it, but they lost to Colorodo (4-3) and LSU would jump them easily.

West Virginia - They lost to the only quality team they played in South Florida. LSU would very easily jump them. Plus, they might lose again anyway.

Oregon - They beat Michigan (when they were unranked) and lost to Cal. LSU would also easily jump them if they both ran the table. Plus they still have USC, Az. St. and Oregon State coming up. So they could lose again anyway.

So there you have it. About the only one LSU couldn't jump if they won out would be OSU because they'd be undefeated. LSU is in great shape. But I mean in the standings. We are not in great shape if we don't blitz more, catch passes, get healthy, etc. We let that one slip away yesterday. Still, it was on the road against a good team and we were worn out from the Florida game. Kentucky was more than rested and we didn't bring our A game. The injuries piled up too much for us yesterday. If we don't bring it this week, we're in danger of losing everything.

The bottom line is that no other team's schedule comes close to touching LSU's. So if we do put it together and win out, we're in. That's it.

1 person likes this.