WIthout Fred Gibson, does UGA's offense slip a little? And other questions about Sat.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by nolatiger, Sep 15, 2003.

1. nolatiger

nolatiger Founding Member

Is Fred Gibson that type of difference maker or are the other receivers as good. Given the youth of Georgia's o-line (who are maturing rather quickly by the way), will UGA's other receivers be able to get open before Greene/Shockley is hurried/ sacked by LSU's d-line. I feel our secondary can hold their own in man-to-man if we don't have to worry about gibson making plays.

As for the lines...Are Georgia's wonder pups good enough to contain LSU's front 4? It will be real interesting to see what happens if we don't have to pull the lb's wp to the line of scrimmage. If we can get to the QBs early, then look out. Can you imagine how much the 12th man factor will wiegh in then?

Then you talk about our o-line. This is simply talent vs. talent. The real "x" factor for this game. We all have seen what happens when you give Mauck the time to make his reads and when Addai and Carey get just a little bit of daylight. If the line can just muster "4 or more" we will win this game. However, if they underperform, it will be a long day.

I know there are other factors, but these are the biggest in my opinion. Here's to Saban making sure everyone is mentally ready to do their jobs.

LSU 24, UGA 20

2. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Fred Gibson is that type of guy, but they have three very talented veterans behind him. They still have seniors Damien Gary and Michael Johnson, as well as junior Reggie Brown. All of these guys are playmakers, and I dont think losing Gibson will have an effect on the outcome of the game. I think our secondary is very good and will hold their own, but not because Gibson is out. The talent drop-off is minimal. The big thing that UGA will be missing is his size. He is the only UGA reciever that is over 6-3, and Michael Johnson is the only other guy over 6-1, coming in at 6-3.

Your question regarding the trenches is the million dollar question right now. We really dont know. I think our defensive line will perform well, and we wont be forced to blitz as much as we did last year. I think Lavalais, Spears, and Hill will bring the pressure. People sometimes overlook Bryce Wyatt, but hes a player, too.

I have a lot of confidence in our offensive line, and my only concern is David Pollack. I have seen some posts here and elsewhere about how overrated this guys is, but I just have to disagree. He is a dominating end that COULD give us fits. The good news is he will be on the same side as Stephen Peterman, whom I think is the best gaurd in the league.

3. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

For Georgia, this years OL is actually better than last years OL.

And this years running game is better as well.

Not having Fred Gibson in the lineup makes it easier to double cover Reggie Brown or Damien Gary...

But as I have said elsewhere, Georgia's success depends on whether or not they can establish the run. If that happens, Greene will use his play action skills, and at that point, he could be throwing to the third string and still be successful. (i.e. look for a player named Sean Bailey)

This is really the first season where Richt is primarily using players that he himself chose to offer scholarships to.

4. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Founding Member

The score was 0-0 when Fred went down against South Carolina, and the offense didn't miss a beat, so I would say no. We are pretty stacked at WR, so we should be okay. With Gibson out, the real threat to throw deep is pretty much gone, but the rest of the corp is very talented.

5. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

ugahairy, welcome!

UGA's offense won't miss that big of a beat. Like said above, Johnson/Brown/Gary and true freshman Bailey are all very good backups for Greene.

I think the key is the running game. If Cooper can get open and run for a good amount of yards, the passing game will open up.

6. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

I’ve read post after post that if we do this or that we’ll be okay. If we don’t do this it will be a long day. So what happens if UGA does not do this or that? Will it be a long day for UGA?

Neither team comes into this game being tested. We both played teams that we should have beat. There have been no surprises for either team. Georgia best have their “A” game too and minimize the mistakes as well.

I think both teams are good, but neither has proven they deserve to be in the top 10. It’s a given that one of us will not be in the top 10 come Sunday. LSU has just as good of a chance as UGA, and both teams best bring some extra jock straps, because they will get them knocked loose Saturday. I do not believe this game comes down to a FG.

The team with the best field position and fewest turnovers will win this game. It’s not about holding a receiver or back under 100 yards output. It’s about containing and keeping them out of the end zone with the FB. I believe both defenses will have all they can handle come Saturday.

7. SouthLink02

I would disagree with the UGA not playing anyone. Look, USC and Clemson suck. Yes, they do and I am not trying to prove they are great teams. But they are both hard-nose rivals with UGA. Clemson is a boarder war game and USC has had tremendous success against UGA as of late. Those were two big games no matter who good/bad the other team was.

8. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

Compared to LSU, Georgia has played someone......but overall Georgia hasn't played good talent. Clemson is not a good football team, neither is South Carolina....and yes I know they beat Virginia, but i believe if Schaub (sp?) would have been playing it would have been totally different.

fact is, neither team has played anyone that even comes remotely close to the team they are about to face.

Geaux Tigers

LSU 27
    UGA 24

9. SouthLink02

Oh trust me, I hate USC with a passion. You all dont even know how god damn annoying they are. I used to hate Auburn but at least there fans respect Georgia. USC fans seem to think they own the SEC after doing nothing. USC played a horrid/over-rated UVA team.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Proves nothing.
    Had ULM even played LSU close, they would have disbanded the program, died and gone to heaven on a high note.
    Arizona was coming off a pounding of UTEP and all geeked up over showing it wasn't a fluke and to show the home fans that this was going to be a special season.
    Western Illinois was ranked #1 in their division for the 1st time in history. They were playing for the honor of the entire Div II world.
    Fact is, they all suck and couldn't walk the walk.
    Same goes for Clemson (only win is Furman), MTSU (Sun Belt Conference;nuff said) and USC (beat ULL by 7 at HOME for God sakes).
    Both teams should leave the schedules to date out of their arguments.