Women in combat

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by shane0911, Jan 24, 2013.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

No idea. Probably less than you think. Its probably not a good idea to try and catagorize it that way. I can tell you in 20+ years of service i have come across a grand total of zero chics that have said "i really wish i could be in the infantry".

Guess what im trying to say is i dont know where the pressure to lift this ban is coming from. I just dont see or hear the outcry from women to justify even bringing it up.

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Doubt they are lesbians but career climbers out of the officer corps. Read an article recently that had done a survey of women in the ranks and only a very small percentage wanted infantry or the like. Most ladies are realists about their capabilities.

3. shane0911

These are the worst

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ticket punchers. It's why fat captains go to jump school, they want that pin on their uniform if it breaks both their legs. I suspect that the women that want to be generals feel like they need to have that CIB. There won't be a lot of female E-4s and fresh lieutenants volunteering for infantry, but I bet every female light colonel in the army will want to pull some duty in an combat infantry unit.

gyver and Winston1 like this.
  5. shane0911

Great great GREAT point. I never even considered that angle. Field grade officer competition is cut throat as you will find and uber political as well. This is going to get very interesting.

6. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

My girlfriends daughter just finished Army basic training. We talked to her and asked what she thought about the new ruling. Nobody had told them yet. She said that she used to think women could hang with men. Her tune has changed now. She realizes how much stronger the men are than the women. She said the women can do the marches and carry the packs but if it were under combat situations the women would be at a great disadvantage.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

Ticket puncher, I dunno this phrase. This means a dude that must do everything like be a ranger for a while then intelligence then whatever else to build his resume to be a general eventually?

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are ticket punchers in every field. Some of the things one must do to advance and be recognized are required of all, others are icing on the cake, others are superfluous. Ticket punchers are obsessed with obtaining every qualification and status that they can. Often the ticket punchers are not the best candidates out there so they are compensating with all the paper qualifications they can amass. The truly gifted in any field does not have to get his ticket punched that often, his work speaks for him. Thus ticket punchers are smirked at by the alpha dogs.

In the military, certain decorations, commendations, duties and services are expected of an ambitious officer and everybody must get his ticket punched. Thus, women without a Combat Infantrymans Badge could get passed over, not because of her gender, but because of her experience. It's just the system.

The professors around LSU are the same. They are expected to get a PhD, but not all three degrees at the same school. They must get their ticket punched with different departments in the field. They have to publish and bring in research dollars. But ticket punchers will try to swell their publications list by publishing essentially the same research in several journals in several countries. They will pick up mulitple masters degrees, just to make their vita thicker. They will join multiple professional societies and write many letters trying to get that tenured position. Meanwhile the alpha dogs just turn out top students and top publications.

CajunlostinCali and shane0911 like this.
  9. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Nice!

Do not know which is worse, ticket punchers or ring knockers? Perhaps a ring knocker because they are young and do not know any better?

Not sure. Guess I should ask the ring knocker that lives down the street. Navy, of course...

10. shane0911

What a bunch of grab asses aren't they?