Worst Officiated Game I've Ever Seen

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by slippery pete, Oct 21, 2007.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Recently a poster (left unnamed) here made mention of calls made in another Bama game. I disagreed with his notions on the subject but did mention that Penn Wagers crew was the one that handled the game and they're known for missing calls. One example I mentioned was the 12 men on the field against Arkansas a few years ago...but, could have mentioned many other examples.

Case in point...the crew last night was....Penn Wagers'.

It's one thing to mention a call that is a game deciding mistake. It's a completely different story when it isn't. Quite frankly, calls go both ways in games. Claiming refs are paid? Well, it is about as old hat as NC talks.

2. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

I would agree with those that state there was little chance he was blocked into Dorsey, but I would disagree that it was done to intentionally injure another player. It's an emotionally-driven stretch to go that far, and an even bigger stretch to say he was instructed by the staff to injure another player.

Was his block intentional? ... yes, I believe so.
    Was it done with intent to injure? .... no, not if you know much about Ramsey.

Was it a legal block? .... technically, yes, depends on the interpretation by conference. People aren't going to like this, but it's a question of the word "delay" in the rule, and different conferences interpret it in much different ways. You think USC ever gets condemned for such common tactics? ... hardly, and they do it routinely.

Should the rules be modified to prevent such examples? ... absolutely, I'd like to see hi/low double-teams governed more heavily. But therein the rub. The diffculty lies in where the line should be drawn for NCAA rulesmakers.

Anyway, I'm sorry to see it, but that's my $0.02 on a scary moment. Hope Dorsey is fine.

3. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

the rule reads you cannot low block a defender if he is engaged by another offensive player - it was clear from every replay I saw that Dorsey was already well engaged when he was cut block.

it was illegal - no need to rationalize it or make excuses. the ref saw it and did not call it, so he is a friggin idiot of epic proportions and should never ref another SEC game again - that crap may fly in the WAC or Mountain West, but not in big time college football.

4. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Agreed...

5. cadillacattack

Just like their comments on the Ramsey/Dorsey block, the announcers had little knowledge of what they were talking about. The positioning of the player, the SR in this case, has little to do with the penalty. The receiver declares himself "on or off" the LOS. The only requirement after that is that he be on a line drawn between the Center's hips (parallel with the LOS).

I've reviewed the replay, but the camera angle makes it impossible to determine if was behind the imaginary line.

IMO, the issue is not whether he was on or off of that imaginary line, it was whether the flag, once thrown, could be subjected to review. You can review whether Hester crossed the plane, but the other penalty is not reviewable according to the current rules.

6. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Look,,,I don't think there was any kind of "conspiracy" here, but the rules are the rules. The main reason they are put there is to prevent injury that could ruin a young mans future career. I would have called it a "cheap shot" had it been an LSU lineman doing it. They "do" need to ask for an official SEC review (which I,m sure someone will). You cant let people get away with that kind of crap..Oh, and by the way. They need to pull the Ref on the carpet and let him explain how that was a "non call". SEC football is "tough", it always has been and always will be, I dont think any of us would want it any other way, that being said, "No one" on "any team" should be allowed to get away with that sort of thing.

:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige

7. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

agreed - i do not think any penalty should be reviewed by replay...this includes illegal formations AND pass interference for tips. penalties should stay a judgment call by the officials

8. cadillacattack

look, i'm not trying to argue semantics here, because i'm already on-record as saying i think it's dirty. But the rule has ambiguity built-in to it and it is interpreted differently by conference, and sometimes by different officiating crews within a conference.

The SEC is no exception and this is a frequent occurence in the SEC, Big 10, and Pac-10 .... hardly the type of conferences I'd refer to as beneath "big time football."

All players who are present within the established zone at the time the ball is snapped may block in the back or below the waist at any time while the ball is still within the zone.

This "zone" is defined as the area 3 yards on either side of the LOS and 8 yards wide. The chop block rule discusses that the first block must be engaged high, and after a delay, the second block is engaged low.

Simultaneous blocks, even when performed hi/low, are not ruled as "Chop blocks," and are legal ..... although fans frequently confuse the term cut-blocking and chop-blocking. They are two different things and cut-blocking is currently legal.

I'm told that the legality of the block is entirely based upon the decision of the official as to what constitutes "delay." In the SEC, as was common when he led an SEC crew, Rogers Redding has permitted cut blocks with regularity.

However gruesome or unethical you feel the practice is, it is commonplace. However, you typically don't see it on television because most lineman aren't on isolation-HD cameras for an entire game as was the case with Dorsey.

Such blocking occurs frequently with teams like USC and OSU, and is an accepted practice. It's also why linemen are required to wear braces as normal equipment. Sure wish they'd have made us do that when I was an OG/DT in HS.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No chance. See for yourself.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqiLlOybz9s[/MEDIA]

I'm with you so far.

Here we begin to diverge, because we can only imagine about one's intent. It was certainly done with the knowledge that such a block is illegal and apt to cause serious injury and is generally know as a "cheap shot".

Now you are absolutely wrong. I challenge you to prove that statement with any conference ruling.

Here is the "NCAA rules release :

From the NCAA Football Regulations:

The line is clear and unmistakeable. You are in some kind of denial here, Caddy. The rules do not need to be modified because they already govern illegal blocks such as Ramsey's.

Show me where any conference rule makes this official NCAA rule subject to interpretation. Or just live with the fact that an Auburn player illegally chopped an opponent. I'm trying not to be too judgemental, here. This can and does happen to anyones team on rare occcasion.

But for you to come here and try to tell us that the play was "technically legal" is absurd. So, back it up . . . or back off it.

10. cadillacattack

repectfully disagree, Red. I've previously stated that I think the rule needs to be modified to remove any doubt about the way that officials (by conference or by crew) interpret the meaning of "delay," because it clearly is not consistent. The ref was staring right at the players in question, so I think we can agree there was also "no chance" that he missed the call, only that his interpretation of "delay" was flawed. Any rule that allows that, IMO, should be changed.

It was a bad block, period, and I haven't insinuated anything less, amigo.

You're joshing, right? I mean, the rules are so clear-cut that no official would ever have room for "interpretation," right?

[​IMG]