Would anyone else besides me...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MLUTiger, Jan 4, 2005.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

So last night I hear the talking heads say that AU (or someone from AU) will be giving rings to the players to celebrate a Nat'l Championship if they beat Virginia Tech. Assuming that they're not talking about rings that players already get for winning the SEC and/or the Sugar Bowl, would you not be pissed if you replaced AU with LSU and Saban/Miles pulled the same stunt?

I know that I would. Certainly I would argue that AU/LSU deserves a shot at the Nat'l Championship over both USC and OU by virtue of the number of wins over top 25 competition alone, but I would not want my team to stoop to the level of classless behavior that Pete Carroll did last year. (Speaking of, WTF is USC doing in Miami anyway? Is the Rose Bowl not the title game for them or was that just a one year hiatus from the BCS?)

I have never felt sorry for our white trash SEC sisters, but they were robbed.

While I'm asking questions, since when does a win over the I-AA The Citadel cancel out wins over #4 LSU, #8 Tennessee, #5 Georgia, #15 Tennessee and #9 Virginia Tech, Trev? Jeesh. Is there a bigger tool anywhere on television?

/rant over

2. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Well, if someone had to be robbed this year,

I am grateful it was AU and not any other SEC team. If it had to happen sooner or later to the SEC, this was the perfect scenario IMO.
    Let Auburn give the team NC rings, and hopefully Utah gives their team NC rings too.

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Excellent points by the both of you.

Auburn can get what they want for their players--it doesn't mean anything to anyone past Auburn.

Honestly, since I always go SEC in the bowl games, wanted Auburn to bury VT, and to make a claim to ole Petey Carroll for their share of the title. :) ...but a 16-13 win isn't going to get it done.

Having said that, I want OU to kick USC's arse! I dislike Stoops, yes. BUT I don't want to see Trojan fans screaming, "Back-to-back!" or some other bogus crap like that considering they didn't win it last year ;).

4. rickyd

rickyd Founding Member

Did anyone else notice petey's response when asked about awbarn being left out?

"this is the system thats in place" .............. What an azzhole! :po:

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Alabama claims an MNC for every year that they went undefeated, plus a few more. USC claims one for last year even though they were not in the BCS game.

Utah and Auburn should both claim MNC's for 2004. Let everybody refer to USC as tri-champions if they win the BCS and see how they like it with the tables turned.

The worse this turns out, the sooner the NCAA will institute at least a four-team, two week playoff for the title. There are rarely more than four teams in consideration by January.

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

what does the "M" in "MNC" stand for?

7. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

The "M" stands for "Mythical", which is technically true since there is no formal playoff system by which to determine a champion. USC and OU meet tonight, not because they've fully proven to be the top two teams in the country but in part because a bunch of reporters and uiniversity officials (who vote for coaches who are way too busy to follow other teams during the season) say they're the top two teams in the country.

8. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Yes, Auburn got the shaft:thumb:, and I'm LMAO:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:. It could only be better if it was happening to :eek:lefire:.

9. BMoney

BMoney Founding Member

Wait, wait, wait. The commentator (Tim Brant) suggested that Auburn should get NC rings for their players. Nowhere was it said that Auburn is going to do that. Some of you guys need to listen to what is said, instead of hearing what you want to hear.

10. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

It don't matter who said it, I agree with them. Auburn & Utah both should get NC rings. :)